Links and documents
1871/01/01 to 1871/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Rothsay Masonic Temple is found on Queen Street in Bridgetown, Nova Scotia. This former Presbyterian church, built in 1871 in red brick, is prominently located adjacent to the main bridge across the Annapolis River. The building and property are included in the provincial designation.
The Rothsay Masonic Temple is valued for being an excellent example of a late nineteenth-century Gothic Revival style church constructed of brick and because of its prominent position adjacent to the main bridge in the town of Bridgetown, which crosses the Annapolis River.
The Rothsay Masonic Temple was originally a Presbyterian Church which first opened in 1871. In 1921, the Methodists and Presbyterians united to form the Gordon-Province United Church on a separate property. The now empty church property was purchased in 1925 by the Rothsay Lodge of the Masonic Order for $3000 as the Masonic Hall being used at the time was in urgent need of repairs. On acquiring the church, the lodge altered it for Masonic purposes by placing a floor to divide the interior into an upper and lower storey. On the upper floor is the Lodge room, ante-room and preparation room, and below a banquet hall and kitchen.
The building is an excellent example of late nineteenth-century Gothic Revival style architecture with elements such as the steeply pitched gable roof, a large Gothic window in the front, narrow lancet windows in the side elevations and stone-capped brick buttresses. The fact that the building is constructed of brick makes it somewhat more distinctive than many other churches of similar design in Nova Scotia. The brick used in its construction was locally made by Edward Walker in his kiln at nearby Carleton Corner. Until the 1920s, a spire topped the bell tower; however, during that period it was considered unsafe and removed. The present truncated steeple was fitted in its place.
The Rothsay Lodge has occupied the former church building since purchasing it in 1925 and continues to serve the lower Annapolis River area. The Rothsay Masonic Temple is in a prominent position adjacent to the main bridge across the Annapolis River and central to the Town of Bridgetown. The use of the building incorporates the early history of the Presbyterian Church and a continual history of the Masonic brotherhood in the Annapolis area. It is one of a very few remaining buildings that used locally manufactured brick in its construction.
Source: Provincial Heritage Program property files, no. 134, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS.
Character-defining elements of the Rothsay Masonic Temple relating to its Gothic Revival style include:
- two-storey brick construction, using locally manufactured bricks;
- steeply pitched gable roof;
- large Gothic window in the front elevation;
- narrow lancet windows in the side elevations;
- stone-capped brick buttresses;
- prominent location adjacent to the main bridge in the centre of Bridgetown, crossing the Annapolis River.
Province of Nova Scotia
Heritage Property Act
Provincially Registered Property
1925/01/01 to 1925/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Provincial Heritage Program property files, no. 134, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS.
Cross-Reference to Collection