Links and documents
1933/01/01 to 1934/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Holy Ghost Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church, Whitkow is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Round Hill No. 467 in the Hamlet of Whitkow. The property features an octagonal-domed church and a small bell stand, both constructed in 1933 on a 0.75 ha parcel of land.
The heritage value of the Holy Ghost Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church, Whitkow lies in its status as a cultural landmark in the community. Ukrainian pioneers began settling in the district shortly before the First World War. Soon after arriving they began gathering in homes and other buildings for religious services. In 1932, the congregation decided to build a permanent church and, in 1933, the present church was constructed under the supervision of Nick Ewanchuk. Although regular services have ended, the church continues to serve the community as a gathering place on special occasions and as a monument to the Ukrainian heritage of the district.
The heritage value of the property also lies in its architecture, which is typical of Ukrainian Greek Orthodox churches of the period. As with many Orthodox churches, the property features Byzantine Revival-inspired architecture. This style is reflected the property’s central octagonal dome, rose windows, rounded windows and its symmetricaly composition in the form of a crucifix. A few yards from the church is a small, open wood-frame bell stand. Also typical of Orthodox Church construction, the interior space features an adorned sanctuary and nave divided from each other by a heavily decorated icon screen.
Rural Municipality of Round Hill No. 467, Bylaw 1-01.
The heritage value of the Holy Ghost Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church, Whitkow resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s status as a cultural landmark, including its location on its original position and cross on the dome;
-those elements that reflect the property’s Byzantine Revival-inspired architecture, including the octagonal central dome, rose windows, rounded archways, symmetrical composition and the layout in the shape of a crucifix, iconic painting in the interior, the icon screen separating the sanctuary and nave, and stand-alone bell structure.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 2182
Cross-Reference to Collection