Home / Accueil

46 Drury Lane

46 Drury Lane, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, B0S, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1982/06/08

Southeast corner of 46 Drury Lane, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007
Southeast corner of 46 Drury Lane
Southwest corner of 46 Drury Lane, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007
Southwest corner of 46 Drury Lane
Front elevation of 46 Drury Lane, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007
Front elevation of 46 Drury Lane

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1874/01/01 to 1874/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/09/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

46 Drury Lane consists of a residential building and lot, and is located on a residential street among buildings which are of similar age and style. The house is a one-and-one-half storey, single detached mass built in 1874 in the Late Victorian Plain style. The house sits adjacent to the road and faces the municipal parking lot used by the Annapolis Royal Farmers' and Traders' Market. The municipal designation includes the building and surrounding property.

Heritage Value

Historic Value

The property at 46 Drury Lane, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, as recognized by its heritage designation, is valued for its contribution to the architectural landscape of the town as well as its association with local historic personalities. The lot was originally part of the four-acre property purchased by the French government in 1704 from Capt. Claude-Sebastien Villieu for the use of the parish church. Following the British conquest of Nova Scotia, the former Villieu property was granted to the Anglican Church as glebe lands and was subsequently subdivided and leased. In 1868 the Anglican Church sold the area between Drury Lane and Church Street to the Windsor & Annapolis Railway and over the next few years divested itself of the remaining glebe lands in the Lower Town. After this time, this section of Annapolis Royal became the home of numerous families who were employed by the Railway. In 1874, Dominion Atlantic Railway employee Edward Brooks purchased lot no. 7 on which he built a dwelling within the year. From 1895 until 1910 it was the property of Daniel Copeland, railway engineer, and his wife, Mary. Oliver Primrose Goldsmith owned the place for a considerable time, from 1920 to 1952.

Architectural Value

46 Drury Lane is an example of the Late Victorian Plain style as expressed in Annapolis Royal. Typically, the house does not have a great deal of exterior ornamentation. The house maintains its wooden clapboard siding as well as two-over-two wooden sash windows. The windows themselves are surmounted by a decorative entablature which is the main exterior decoration. Large granite blocks have been used as the foundation for the building along the street side. This sort of construction is uncommon in Annapolis Royal as the nearest granite quarries are at some distance from the town. The builder's association with the Windsor & Annapolis Railway may explain how these blocks were transported to Annapolis Royal.

Source: Annapolis Royal Heritage Designation Files, Annapolis Heritage Society, 136 St George Street, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of 46 Drury Lane are related to its Late Victorian Plain style and include include:

- one-storey closed entry porch located on the front of the building on the southwest corner;
- original one-and-one half-storey size;
- original size and massing;
- medium gable roof with no return;
- one-storey ell attached to the rear of the building;
- centrally located single brick chimney;
- one-storey three sided bay window on the southeast side of the building is a later addition;
- wooden clapboard siding and end boards;
- two-over-two wooden sash windows;
- windows surmounted by a decorative entablature;
- large granite blocks used for foundation at the front of the building.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date

1982/06/08

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Institution

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Edward Brooks

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Property Files, Annapolis Heritage Society, 136 St George Street, Annapolis Royal, NS, B0S 1A0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

02MNS0198

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places