Home / Accueil

46 Victoria Street West

46 Victoria Street West; Amherst, Amherst, Nova Scotia, B4H, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/08/17

Scrollwork detail of 46 Victoria West, Amherst, NS, 2007.; Heritage Division, NS Dept of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007
Scrollwork Detail
Main elevation, 46 Victoria Street West, Amherst, NS, 2007.; Heritage Division, NS Dept of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007
North Elevation
Front and side elevations, 46 Victoria Street West, Amherst, NS, 2007.; Heritage Division, NS Dept of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007
Northwest Elevation

Other Name(s)

46 Victoria Street West
Lusby House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/11/22

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

46 Victoria Street West is a two-and-a-half-storey Maritime Vernacular home built circa 1884. This north-facing home sits on the main street of Amherst, Nova Scotia, in an older residential area near the downtown commercial district. The residence is slightly set back from the sidewalk and is surrounded by mature trees and bushes. The building and property are included in the municipal designation.

Heritage Value

46 Victoria Street West is valued as an unusual example of a decorated Maritime Vernacular home. Also valued is its association with the Lusby family, which was an important family in the history and development of Amherst.

Architectural Value: Maritime Vernacular buildings were practical, functional structures built for the purpose of shelter or storage. They had clean lines with little or no ornamentation, so this house is made unique by the decorative brackets and distinctive scrollwork under the eaves that contrast sharply with the straight lines of the house. The Vernacular style is also evident in its symmetrical box-like appearance, the large central door, and the balanced placement of its windows and two chimneys.

Historical Value: The house was built circa 1884 for John C. Lusby, and is believed to be the third house on this site. This lot of land came into the hands of John C. Lusby’s grandfather, Thomas Lusby, in 1783. The elder Lusby lived on this site, operated the first gristmill in Amherst, and was a member of the Legislature for the Amherst Township until 1801. The gristmill operated until the 1920s, and the Lusbys owned this piece of land until the 1950s.

Source: “Heritage Properties Amherst, 46 Victoria West” File, Cumberland County Museum

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of 46 Victoria Street West include:

- decorative scrollwork and brackets under the eaves;
- architecturally balanced chimneys.

Character-defining Maritime Vernacular elements of 46 Victoria West include:

- typical box-like shape;
- symmetric placement of windows;
- central entrance.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date

1987/08/17

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

John Embree

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

"Heritage Properties Amherst" File, Cumberland County Museum and Archives, 150 Church St, Amherst, NS B4H 3C4

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

12MNS0001

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places