Chocolate Park, Milltown Boulevard, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Loyalist Landing is a municipal park with floral gardens and a memorial clock located on the banks of the St. Croix River near the Chocolate Theme Park & Playground on the river side of Milltown Boulevard in St. Stephen.
Loyalist Landing is designated a Local Historic Place in commemoration of the arrival of the Loyalists in the area and for its association with Captain Nehemiah Marks.
Loyalist Landing is recognized for its association with the arrival of a group of early Loyalists to the St. Stephen area. In the spring of 1784, a group of Loyalists, who were loyal to the British Crown, arrived under the leadership of Captain Nehemiah Marks. The group included 108 men, 45 women, 15 children 10 years and over, 23 children under age 10; servants - 6 men, 3 women and a few children. They landed near this site on the banks of the St. Croix River.
Loyalist Landing is also recognized for its association with the ship's captain, Nehemiah Marks, who stepped ashore near here, planted the British flag and named the place Morristown. He was the first Justice of the Peace for Charlotte County and held a commission in the King's Own Maryland Loyalists. He was commissioned during the Revolutionary War by Sir Guy Carleton and was Captain of the "Miranda".
Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file, “Loyalist Landing”
The character-defining elements that describe Loyalist Landing include:
- location on the banks of the St. Croix River;
- sightlines to the St. Croix River;
- green area;
- floral gardens;
- freestanding memorial clock;
- wrought iron fencing.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1784/01/01 to 1784/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Civic Space
- Commemorative Monument
- Historic or Interpretive Site
- Nature Element
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stepehn Town Hall - Historic Places file, "Loyalist Landing"
Cross-Reference to Collection