Home / Accueil

Old Ganong Candy Factory

73 Milltown Blvd, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2006/09/14

Front and side View; Town of St. Stephen
Old Ganong Candy Factory
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/01/07

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Old Ganong Candy Factory is a commercial Italianate three-storey brick building with a large four-storey rear extension, located on Milltown Boulevard in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

Old Ganong Candy Factory is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with one of the early industries in St. Stephen.

Old Ganong Candy Factory is recognized for its architecture. It is a good example of commercial Italianate architecture from the late 19th century in St. Stephen. In 1910, G.W. Ganong salvaged bricks from the barn on the abondoned “Todd Farm” for a new wing that was being built on the candy factory. A tug was rented for $10.00 to haul the bricks up river. Fifteen hundred bricks were purchased for $1.50.

Old Ganong Candy Factory is also recognized for its association with one of the early industries in St. Stephen, chocolate and candy manufacturing. James H. Ganong and Gilbert White Ganong were from Springfield, N.B. After opening a commission merchant under the name of G. W. Ganong at this location on May 8, 1873, they began making their own candy. This niche market became the foundation for what is now Canada's oldest family-owned candy-maker. Ganong Brothers Ltd. were the first candy company to introduce the heart-shaped box North America in 1932 - now a universal symbol of Valentine's Day. The candy business is still owned and operated by the Ganong family. Old Ganong Candy Factory is now the home of the "Chocolatier", the Chocolate Museum, "St. Jerome's" restaurant, government and corporate offices, "Charlotte County Credit Union Ltd." and apartments.

Source: St. Stephen Town Hall, Historic Places file, “Old Ganong Cholcolate Factory”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe Old Ganong Candy Factory include:
- rectangular massing of the original 3-storey building and 4-storey extension;
- brick construction;
- bay windows over a street level storefront on the front façade;
- archway;
- intrados trim;
- symmetrical placement of rectangular and segmented arch double sash windows;
- flat roof and corbelled parapet of the original building;
- low pitched gable roof of the extension.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2006/09/14

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building
Commerce / Commercial Services
Eating or Drinking Establishment
Leisure
Museum
Residence
Multiple Dwelling

Historic

Industry
Food and Beverage Manufacturing Facility

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Joesph McVay & Jellison Nesbitt

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall, Historic Places file, "Old Ganong Candy Factory"

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1267

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places