Home / Accueil

Blair House

38 Prince William Street, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2006/05/23

Garden view; Town of St. Stephen
Blair House
View of the front façade; Town of St. Stephen
Blair House
Italianate windows; Town of St. Stephen
Blair House

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1860/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/02/05

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Blair House is a two-and-a-half storey Italianate residence from the mid-19th century. It is located on Prince William Street in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

Blair House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and its association with its former occupants.

Blair House is a good example of Italianate residential architecture from the mid-19th century in St. Stephen. Built in 1860 for Sarah Henrietta Marks Blair, it still maintains many original key features of this style, including wide corner boards and pilasters, several bay windows and paired brackets under a wide eave. The use of single, double and triple narrow Roman arch windows is also indicative of this style.

Blair House is also recognized for its association with its former occupants. Sarah Henrietta Marks Blair was the granddaughter of Col. Nehemiah Marks, an important industry leader in St. Stephen’s early economic development. She built the house on Prince William Street next to her sister, Caroline and her husband, Peter Abbott and across the street from her brother, Joseph P. Marks. There is, therefore, value in its historic context within a concentration of houses occupied by descendants of early St. Stephen settlers. In 1870, Hon. John McAdam purchased the home. He was a leading member of the N.B. Legislative Assembly. In 1886, Hugh McKay became the new owner. He was Mayor of St. Stephen in 1890-1891.

Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historical Places file "Blair House"

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the Italianate style architecture of Blair House include:
- two-and-a-half storey rectangular massing;
- wide corner boards and pilasters;
- bay windows on the ground floor;
- gable roof;
- wide returned eaves with paired brackets;
- narrow double hung single, double and triple Roman arch windows;
- Italianate porch with double door entrance;
- central gable dormer.

The character-defining elements that describe the location of the Blair House include:
- its historic location within a concentration of houses occupied by descendants of early St. Stephen settlers.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2006/05/23

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1866/01/01 to 1866/01/01
1870/01/01 to 1870/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Commerce / Commercial Services
Hotel, Motel or Inn

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file "Blair House"

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1110

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places