Home / Accueil

J & C Short Shipbuilding Site

12 Denny Street, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/02/20

Former shipbuilding site; Town of St. Stephen
J & C Short Shipbuilding Site
The vessel "The Rocklands" under construction; Town of St. Stephen
J & C Short Shipbuilding Site
The vessel "The Rocklands" under sail; Town of St. Stephen
J & C Short Shipbuilding Site

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/06

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The J & C Short Shipbuilding Site consists of an open field and the remains of a wooden wharf located in the vicinity of the River Street Complex on Denny Street in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

The J & C Short Shipbuilding Site is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the shipyard industry and for its association with the Short family.

Charles Short started his career in the village of Digdeguash, Charlotte County, New Brunswick. In 1861, this master builder moved to St. Stephen to join his brother John to form the J & C Short Shipbuilding firm in St. Stephen. They opened shipyards at this location with marine railways directly across the St. Croix River in Calais, Maine, making it a good example of the international businesses that took advantage of the town’s proximity to the United States. During their years in St. Stephen, they built 7 ships from 955 tons to 1606 tons, 12 barques and 1 brig. The last ship built in St. Stephen was “The Rocklands”, for Zachariah Chipman. It was launched on October 1st, 1878 and christened by Miss Jessie Tilley, daughter of Sir Leonard Tilley and granddaughter of Zachariah Chipman. Charles retired after the building of “The Rocklands” and John moved to Kenora, Ontario. The firm continued to operate in Calais, Maine. Charles died in 1895 at the age of 69 and is buried in the Catholic Cemetery, St. Stephen, New Brunswick. The current site reflects the J & C Shipbuilding operation. The open field and the remains of a wooden wharf represent the scope of the former operation.

Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File “J & C Short Shipbuilding Site”.

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the J & C Short Shipbuilding Site include:
- open field;
- remains of a wooden wharf on the shorefront;
- location of the site across the St. Croix River from Calais, Maine.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2007/02/20

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1861/01/01 to 1878/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Developing Economies
Communications and Transportation

Function - Category and Type

Current

Environment
Nature Element
Undetermined (archaeological site)
Exposed Site

Historic

Industry
Engineering Facility
Industry
Machinery or Other Equipment Manufacturing Facility

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

John & Charles Short

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File "J & C Shipbuilding Site".

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1339

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places