Home / Accueil

McAllister Building

36 Milltown Boulevard, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/02/20

View of the front façade; Town of St. Stephen
McAllister Building
View of the front and side façades; Town of St. Stephen
McAllister Building
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/06

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The McAllister Building is a two-story wooden commercial building of vernacular Classic Revival architecture. It is located on Milltown Boulevard in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

The McAllister Building is designated as a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the McAllister family.

The McAllister Building is recognized for its architecture. It is a good example of a vernacular interpretation of Classic Revival commercial architecture from the early 20th century. Besides its rectangular proportions, the building exhibits such Classic Revival elements as a balanced street-level storefront with a large cornice, a gable roof with wide moulded returned eaves and corner boards with capitals.

The McAllister Building is also recognized for its association with the McAllister family. The building was built in 1900 by John and Harrison McAllister, sons of Captain Abner McAllister, to house a store related to their gristmill enterprise. John McAllister Sr. opened a gristmill in Milltown, New Brunswick on the banks of the St. Croix River in 1803. The McAllisters exchanged hides and skins for corn, gluten, cottonseed and various seed grains. John McAllister Jr. was in charge of the feed store and Harrison the gristmill. For a number of years they produced their own breakfast cereal for sale at the store. The business was incorporated in 1939 as McAllister Bros. Ltd. Sons of John Jr., Abner “Cappy” and Fred McAllister operated the store while two other brothers Lewis and James ran the gristmill. “Cappy” McAllister and his family occupied the second floor of the McAllister Building. The business closed in 1975.

Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File “McAllister Building”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the vernacular Classic Revival commercial architecture of the McAllister Building include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- clapboard siding;
- regular fenestration of rectangular double sash windows;
- medium-pitched gable roof with moulded returned eaves;
- corner boards with capitals;
- balance street-level storefront with large moulded cornice;
- wide display windows.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building


Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment

Architect / Designer



John & Harrison McAllister

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File "McAllister Building"

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places