Home / Accueil

St. Timothy's Hall

31 Marks Street, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/01/17

View of the front façade; Town of St. Stephen
St. Timothy's Hall
Side view; Town of St. Stephen
St. Timothy's Hall
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Timothy's Hall
St. Stephen Columbus Club Ltd.
St. Stephen Columbus Club, Ltd.
Société Colombe de St. Stephen, ltée.

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/07

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Timothy's Hall is small one-and-a-half storey Classic Revival institutional building from the mid-19th century. It is located on Marks Street in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

St. Timothy’s Hall is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for the role it played in the community.

St. Timothy’s Hall is recognized for its architecture. It is a good example of Classic Revival institutional architecture from the mid-19th century in St. Stephen. It was built on land purchased in June 1859 from James G. Stevens and deeded to the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of the Diocese of New Brunswick. The structure was built as a school with part of the building partitioned off for a chapel so that mass could be celebrated there once a month. The hall exhibits many classical features such as rectangular massing, a steeply-pitched gable roof, wide moulded returned eaves and a pediment over the central front entrance. This style was typical of one-room schoolhouses in rural New Brunswick during this period.

St. Timothy’s Hall is also recognized for the role it played in the community. P. R. Bower was the teacher and the school was referred to at the time as “Mr. Bower’s School”. In 1877, the school came under the care of the School Trustees and governed as other Catholic Schools were in the Province of New Brunswick. After the Holy Rosary Church was constructed, this building was rented by the Public School Board until 1924 when the new High School was built. It was, therefore, an important element in the education of St. Stephen for nearly seventy years. The building became known as St. Timothy’s Hall in 1925.

Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File "St. Timothy's Hall"

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the Classic Revival architecture of St. Timothy’s Hall include:
- rectangular one-and-a-half storey massing;
- steeply-pitched gable roof;
- pediment with brackets over the central entrance;
- wide moulded returned eaves;
- triangular vent under the front gable.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2007/01/17

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1877/01/01 to 1877/01/01
1924/01/01 to 1924/01/01
1925/01/01 to 1925/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Community
Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club

Historic

Education
One-Room School
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Henry McWilliams

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File "St. Timothy's Hall"

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1318

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places