Home / Accueil

Trent Sorrey House

599 Main Street, Montague, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/03/10

Showing front elevation; Province of PEI, 2007
Showing front elevation
Showing side elevation; Province of PEI, 2007
Showing side elevation
MacLean Carriage Factory on Main Street; Garden of the Gulf Museum Collection
MacLean Carriage Factory on Main Street

Other Name(s)

Trent Sorrey House
MacLean-DesRoches House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Trent Sorrey House is a Gothic Revival style home influenced by the Island Ell form. The main section is square with an attached rectangular section. Its features include a bay window, gable roofs with paired eave brackets and eave returns, a large verandah with turned posts and spindles on the facade, and a steeply pitched wall dormer. The house is located close to Main Street in Montague.

Heritage Value

The house is valued for its Gothic Revival architectural elements; for its association with early residents of Montague; and for its contribution to the streetscape.

According to Meacham's 1880 Atlas of PEI, the property on which the house is located was originally owned by James Gillis. On July 19, 1890, John H. "Harry" MacLean purchased it and around this time built the current house. MacLean was associated with the MacLean Carriage Factory which was once located on Main Street.

Harry MacLean resided in the house until his death in the late 1940s, at which time, his widow, Flora, left PEI to live with her nephew, Dr. John A. MacLean, in Ottawa. Dr. MacLean eventually inherited the property and sold it in June 1950 to Judge Sylvere DesRoches.

J. Sylvere DesRoches (1894-1975) was successful in his life as a soldier, inspector of Acadian schools, a lawyer and County Court Judge. In 1986, his widow, Florence DesRoches, sold the home to Harold Roche. The current owner purchased it in 2006.

The Gothic Revival style of the house is indicative of the the large family homes being built in Montague at the end of the 19th century. Although some elements such as the exterior cladding have changed, other aspects of the style including the gable roofs with eave returns and paired eave brackets, have survived.

The home continues to contribute to the streetscape of Main Street.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/M29

Character-Defining Elements

The following character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of the house:

- the original sandstone foundation
- the wood frame construction
- the original fenestration of windows and doors
- the gable roofs with eave returns
- the paired eave bracketting
- the bay window
- the verandah on the facade
- the steeply pitched wall dormer
- the brick chimney
- the location of the house on its original site on Main Street



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/M29

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places