Home / Accueil

The Munroe House

41 Riverside Drive, Montague, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/03/10

Showing front elevation; Province of PEI, 2007
Showing front elevation
Showing side elevation; Province of PEI, 2007
Showing side elevation
Showing house, c. 1920s; Garden of the Gulf Museum Collection
Showing house, c. 1920s

Other Name(s)

The Munroe House
Former MacKinnon House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/10

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Munroe House is two-and-one-half storeys with a truncated or gambrel roof. The large rectangular house has a symmetrical facade with a large verandah across the front of the building. Bay windows are also present on the facade. The home is situated on a large lot on Riverside Drive in Montague.

Heritage Value

The house is valued for its historical associations in the town and for its contribution to the streetscape.

The property was originally owned by William Poole and George Thompson of the Poole and Thompson company in Montague. On March 9, 1903, Martin MacKinnon purchased the property. By 1912, he built the current house. A year later, he had married at the late age of fifty years.

MacKinnon operated a fox ranch, the North American Silver Fox Breeders Association, on the site. He also had a coal importation business and owned a vessel called "The Pekin". Martin MacKinnon resided here until 1931 when he sold the property to his brother, Donald MacKinnon.

At the end of World War II, Donald sold the property to William "Henry" Munroe on September 2, 1947. He and his family would operate a war surplus store in a building on the property for almost fifty years. The home remains in the Munroe family today.

The house is an example of the homes being built in the early 20th century along the Montague River, as the town expanded away from Main Street. The overall design of the building has not changed since its construction. It maintains its symmetrical facade, truncated roof, and fenestration of the windows and doors. However, the original wood shingle cladding has been covered with vinyl, original windows have been replaced, and the verandah has also changed.

The home remains on its original footprint and continues to contribute to the streetscape.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/M30

Character-Defining Elements

The following character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of the house:

- the wood frame construction of two-and-one-half storeys
- the symmetrical facade
- the large verandah on the front elevation
- the truncated/gambrel roof with shed dormer
- the two bay windows of the facade
- the brick chimney
- the location of the house on its original footprint on Riverside Drive



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/M30

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places