Zion Lutheran Church
Horse Butte Lutheran Church
Links and documents
1926/01/01 to 1926/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Zion Lutheran Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Rural Municipality of Lacadena No. 228, approximately 9 km southwest of the Town of Kyle. The property features a small wood-frame church that was built in 1926, sited prominently on a .43 ha parcel of rural land. The church’s cemetery, directly across the road from the church, is not included in the designation.
The heritage value of Zion Lutheran Church lies in its status as the only surviving country church in the Kyle – White Bear district, and in its persisting role as a place of worship. The church, originally named Horse Butte Lutheran Church, was built by the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in 1926. Founded by Norwegian settlers in 1910, the congregation had initially held its services in members’ homes; then, for a number of years, in the nearby Horse Butte school. Eventually, they were able to undertake the building of their own church on a parcel of donated land next to their previously established cemetery. Donations helped to pay for the construction materials and furnishings, and nearly everyone in the congregation worked on the building project. With the subsequent addition of amenities such as electricity, plumbing and a concrete basement, the church has continued as the congregation’s place of worship to the present day. As such, it is the last rural church in the district that still hosts regular services.
There is further heritage value in the church’s landmark status. Situated on a height of land, the church, with its tall steeple, is a highly visible and powerful symbol of community identity, and a remembrance of the people and events that shaped community history.
Rural Municipality of Lacadena No. 228 Bylaw No. 6/88.
The heritage value of Zion Lutheran Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-elements that are characteristic of early-twentieth century country churches, including the building’s east-west orientation; the colour scheme of light-hued walls and dark roof and steeple; its rectangular plan and gable roof; the centrally-positioned bell tower with open belfry and balustrades, surmounted by a steeple; the pointed-arch window openings; the wood shingles and clapboard siding; and interior elements such as the vaulted ceiling; elevated chancel and chancel rail; and wood flooring, mouldings and doors;
-elements that express the property’s landmark status and connection to the district’s pioneers, including the church’s location on its original site; unobstructed views of the church building; the original church bell and weather vane; the mounted date stone retrieved from the building’s old foundation; and items associated with past congregants and pastors, such as the painting of Christ above the altar and the memorial stained glass windows;
-elements related to the church’s persistence of use, including regularly occurring church services, and features that reflect changes that were made to facilitate the building’s continued use, such as the basement and the pendant light fixtures that were installed when the building was electrified.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive, Regina
File: MHP 1212
Cross-Reference to Collection