Pheasant Forks Heritage Site
Pheasant Forks Heritage Site Church
Zion Methodist Church
Pheasant Forks Church
Pheasant Forks School
Links and documents
1905/01/01 to 1920/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Pheasant Forks Church and School is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Rural Municipality of McLeod, approximately 9 kilometres north of the Town of Lemberg. Located on landscaped grounds, the property features a one-and-a-half storey brick school building constructed in 1920 and a one storey, wood-frame church built in 1905.
The heritage value of Pheasant Forks Church and School lies in its association with the educational and religious development of the former community of Pheasant Forks. Pheasant Forks was an agricultural colony formed by Primitive Methodist settlers from Yorkshire England and Ontario in 1882. The settlers valued education and their Christian faith and, therefore, church services and schooling began shortly after their arrival in 1883. The 1920 two-room school, the third school to be built in the community, served the youth in the area until it was closed in 1947 due to declining enrolment. A new church was constructed in 1905 to replaced the 1883 church. The church has been the centre of activity in the community, hosting weddings, funerals, religious services and community meetings. Although regular services ceased in 1963, the church is still periodically used for services. Today, the Pheasant Forks Church and School, along with a cairn commemorating the community settlers, are the only structures in the former Pheasant Forks Colony.
Rural Municipality of McLeod 185 Bylaw No. 3-83.
The heritage value of the Pheasant Forks School and Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements relating to the religious development of the community, including the form of the church and the location of the building on its original lot.
-those elements relating to the educational development of the community, including the form and massing of the school, its brick facade and its location on its original lot.
-the stone marker on the grounds commemorating the early settlers.
-the line of trees which partially surrounds the property.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- One-Room School
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina SK
File: MHP 261
Cross-Reference to Collection