Home / Accueil

St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church

30 1st Avenue, Prud'homme, Saskatchewan, S0K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1998/07/22

Looking northwest at the church; J. Winkel, 2007
St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church
Ukrainian Catholic Church of St. John Evangelist

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1945/01/01 to 1945/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/27

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church is a Municipal Heritage Property on a single urban lot in the community of Prud’homme. The property features a wood-frame church, belfry and cemetery situated on approximately one hectare of land.

Heritage Value

The St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church is valued for association with the establishment of the Ukrainian Catholic faith in Prud’homme. Built in 1945, this was the first church built for the parish. The finances, building materials and labour were provided by the church’s first parishioners, who began settling in the area in 1919.

The St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church is also valued for its architecture, particularly its Neo-Byzantine influence. The church was constructed by Iiiya Semberlarus, a local contractor noted for combining old world designs with modern elements. This simple, wood-frame building incorporates several Byzantine elements common to Ukrainian Catholic Churches, such as the three smaller, onion-shaped domes, arched windows and the adjacent belfry. However, the form and materials of the building are more reflective of contemporary churches built in Saskatchewan.

The St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church is also valued for the iconography executed by Theodore Baran. In 1951, Baran painted the patron Saint on the wall directly behind the altar, as well as the Holy Mary and Jesus Christ on the corresponding sides of the altar. Baran adorned the remainder of the church with smaller, religious iconography, which speaks to the church’s connection with the Ukrainian Catholic faith. Baran’s work can also be found in St. George’s Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in Saskatoon, and Ukrainian Catholic churches in North Battleford, Regina, Moose Jaw and Wynyard, as well as the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Prince Albert. Examples of Baran’s work can also be found in the permanent collection of iconography at the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Ottawa.


Village of Prud’homme Bylaw No. #57/98.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the St. John the Evangelist Ukrainian Catholic Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect both the contemporary design of the church, such as the rectangular shape and gable roof, and those that represent the Neo-Byzantine architectural style, such as the three small onion-shaped domes, two of which are situated on top of adjacent towers, arched windows and detached belfry;
-the religious iconography executed by Theodore Baran, such as the patron Saint, Holy Mary and Jesus Christ.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer



Illya Sembelarus

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 1942

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1942



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places