Links and documents
1907/01/01 to 1909/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Located in a mixed commercial and residential area in Brandon, the Armoury is a solid looking structure constructed of brick and stone. Distinguished by a three-storey mid-section and a castle-like façade with a central entrance, it has a large, gable-roofed drill hall, and is backed by three-storey brick block. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Armoury is a Recognized Federal Heritage building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Armoury is closely associated with the drill halls built by the federal government between 1896 and 1918 to house the regional headquarters of the Active Volunteer Militia. The structure was built to house the Brandon Squadron of the 12th Manitoba Dragoons. The unit served in battle in North West Canada in 1885, in South Africa in 1900, and it was part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. They also served in North West Europe during the Second World War.
The Armoury is distinguished by its fortified design, which identifies the structure as a military building. It displays good functional design and craftsmanship where the large drill hall is the most significant interior feature. Its unobstructed interior space is spanned by an overhead Fink truss system, a standard in drill hall construction from approximately 1900 until the First World War.
The Armoury reinforces the present commercial and residential character of the area and is a prominent local landmark.
Sources: Katherine Spencer-Ross, Armoury, Brandon, Manitoba. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 93-109; Armoury, 116 Victoria Street, Brandon, Manitoba. Heritage Character Statement 93-109
The character-defining elements of the Armoury should be respected.
Its fortified style using good quality materials and craftsmanship, for example:
- the large, low-massed structure of brick and stone, consisting of a fortified entrance façade, gable-roofed drill hall and rear section;
- the heavy stone detailing of the rusticated basement, the entry surrounds, window lintels and crenellated chimneys;
- the large round-headed window above the main entry, and the rows of segmentally arched windows above the drill hall;
- the utilitarian interior plan with wide unobstructed drill hall using Fink roof trusses.
The manner in which the Armoury reinforces the character of the area and is a familiar community landmark as evidenced by:
- its relatively modest scale, its materials and its spacious grounds, which make it a good bridging building between the residential and commercial parts of the area;
- its distinctive military architecture reinforced by the presence of the war memorials.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Armoury or Drill Hall
Architect / Designer
Chief Architect’s Branch, Federal Department of Public Works
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection