Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This church features a sanctuary with a large gable roof and a square corner entrance tower topped by four finials. There are also faux buttresses on the exterior walls. The registration includes the church and its lot.
The church is valued as an example of the work of James Harris; for its association with the history of the Anglican church in PEI; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
The church is the third building used by the Anglican church in Alberton. It was built in 1929 at a cost of $4300 to replace one that had burned in 1927. The designing architect was James Harris, nephew of the famous PEI architect, William Critchlow Harris. The builders were William Aubrey and Alexander Leard. The exterior is clad in white painted wooden shingles. Originally, the exterior had contrasting paint colours in the form of horizontal lines on the tower and in the pediment of the sanctuary. The tower also originally had a battlement design between each of the four finials. The form and style of the church is similar to those designed by W.C. Harris. Today, the church is well preserved and fenestration of the windows and doors remains intact.
The first Anglican church in the area was located about one kilometre from this site. It was built under the guidance of Rev. Robert William Dyer (1808-1887) who established the first parish in 1869. Dyer's substantial diaries are valued today as a treasure trove of historical information about the area.
With its many historical associations, the church remains a landmark in Alberton.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A12
Character-defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the church include:
- the rectangular sanctuary with gable roof
- the square side entrance tower with four corner finials
- the louvered vented openings in the tower
- the faux buttresses on the facade
- the wood shingle cladding
- the gothic pointed arch windows, especially the large multi-paned window of the facade
- the decorative hood moulding
- the prominent location of the church on Main Street
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A12
Cross-Reference to Collection