Alberton Museum's Heritage Centre
Former Alberton Presbyterian Church
Links and documents
1872/01/01 to 1874/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Alberton Museum's Heritage Centre is located in the former Alberton Presbyterian Church. The building has a traditional Gothic church style including pointed arch windows on the side elevations and in the tower. The tower also features a decorative entrance vestibule and four finials on its roof. The registration includes the building and its lot.
The building is valued for its association with the history of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Alberton; for its Gothic style; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
This building was built by the Methodists of Alberton sometime between 1872 and 1874. The builders were Archibald and Thomas Leard. After the creation of the United Church of Canada in 1925, those Presbyterians who were non-conforming used this building as a Presbyterian Church. The original Presbyterian Church (the Old Dock Church) was used by the Methodists and conforming Presbyterians as the United Church. This arrangement also involved the moving of both churches. This building was moved to its present location 250 metres from where it had originally been in July of 1927 so that the Old Dock (new United Church) could be moved onto its location. Basically, both churches exchanged sites!
The Presbyterian faith had been established in the Alberton area in 1831. Their first house of worship was built from 1834-1836, but was ravaged by fire on October 2, 1856. After a congregational meeting was held on October 14, 1856, it was decided to build again. This became the Old Dock Presbyterian Church - now known as the Gordon Memorial United Church. This building served the Presbyterians of Alberton until Church Union when they moved into the current building. It retains many of its original Gothic elements except for the original pointed steeple which was removed in 1927.
The church remained active from 1927-2005 when it was closed for regular services due to a decline in membership and difficulty in obtaining a minister. It is now owned by the Alberton Museum, who plan to respect the building's long history and enable it to still be used for occasional services, as well as for museum events and exhibits.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A13
Character-defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the former church include:
- the rectangular configuration with gable roof
- the front centred entrance tower which emerges through the gable roof
- the finials on the tower
- the decorative entrance vestibule
- the wooden clapboard siding
- the gothic pointed arch windows
- the attached hall at the back of the building
- the continuing contribution of the building to its streetscape
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A13
Cross-Reference to Collection