Home / Accueil

Leard House

519 Church Street, Alberton, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/06/12

Showing front elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2007
Showing front elevation
Showing side elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2007
Showing side elevation
Engraving of Rose Cottage, 1880; Meacham's Illustrated Historical Atlas of PEI, 1880
Engraving of Rose Cottage, 1880

Other Name(s)

Leard House
Rose Cottage

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/07/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Leard House or "Rose Cottage" was built in the centre-gable style with a large verandah, the full length of the facade. Today this is an enclosed front porch. The home also has wood shingle cladding. The fenestration including a bay window remains largely unaltered. The registration includes the house and its lot.

Heritage Value

The house is valued for its centre-gable style; for its association with prominent residents of Alberton; and for its contribution to the streetscape.

The Hon. Richard B. Reid (1836-1906) originally constructed this house around 1880 and named it "Rose Cottage". Reid was a member of the PEI Legislative Council from 1869 to 1882. He had a high profile in Alberton as both a merchant and Justice of the Peace for West Prince County. An engraving of his home appears in Meacham's Atlas of PEI and shows it as being well maintained with outbuildings and extensive grounds. The original house appears to have had an open verandah on the facade, but this has been replaced by an enclosed porch.

After Reid's passing, the house was moved to its current location about 100 metres from where it was first built. The kitchen wing on the back was removed and left behind to be made into another dwelling.

Cyril Leard and his wife, Jennie Campbell, purchased the house in 1919. Leard was involved with the local Board of Trade and was an active member of the Alberton Town Council, School Board, Western Hospital Board, Masonic Lodge, Cancer Society, and the CNIB. He was the first Islander to receive the PEI government's award for Distinguished Citizenship.

Roy Leard, his son, inherited the property. He would be the longest serving mayor of Alberton, holding office from 1961 to 1978. He also operated Leard's store on Main Street. During WW II, Roy was a radar technician in the RCAF. He was also a member of the Masonic Lodge, serving a term as Grand Master for PEI.

The house remains a landmark in Alberton with many historical associations with the early economic and social history of the area.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A20

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements which reflect the heritage value of the house include:

- the two-storey centre gable architectural style
- the wood shingle cladding
- the large enclosed porch running the full length of the facade
- the original fenestration including bay windows and paired windows in the centre gable
- the extensions at the back of the house
- the brick chimney
- the continuing contribution of the house to its streetscape



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/A20

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places