Home / Accueil

Chalmers Manse

14, Henderson Street, Township of Centre Wellington, Ontario, N0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1996/01/22

This photo depicts the house's classical proportions and symmetrical elevations, 2007.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Facade and West elevation of 14 Henderson Street
This photo features the three-bay front with central gable, 2007.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Facade and South elevation of 14 Henderson Street
South elevation on Henderson Street featuring chimney, 2007.; Lindsay Benjamin, 2007.
South elevation of 14 Henderson Street

Other Name(s)

Chalmers Manse
14 Henderson Street
169 Victoria Crescent

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/08/12

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Chalmers Manse, located at 14 Henderson Street-169 Victoria Crescent, is situated at the foot of Henderson Street, where it meets Victoria Crescent in the former Village of Elora. This two-storey limestone manse was designed in the Scottish Georgian style and was constructed in 1861.

The property was designated for its heritage value by the Township of Centre Wellington under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law No. 3206-96).

Heritage Value

Located immediately to the west of Chalmers Church at the foot of Henderson Street, the Chalmers Manse has a commanding view of the Elora Gorge.

The Chalmers Manse is a fine example of Scottish Georgian architecture, which was introduced to the area by the merchant class elite of the Upper Canada Loyalists. By the summer of 1861 the congregation of Chalmers Church felt themselves wealthy enough to construct the manse. The church's first minister, Reverend James Middlemiss, D.D. reported that the manse was built at a cost of $1600. George Sinclair, a congregation member, acted as the contractor and mason.

In 1876, the growing congregation elected to build a new church, and the original wood building (in the back yard of the present manse property) was torn down. Stone from the old foundation was used to construct a shed for storage of firewood used in both the church and the manse. This building remains northeast of the manse.

The Chalmers Manse is a fine example of Scottish Georgian architecture and is one of the better examples of stone construction in the Village. The manse is box-like with symmetrical elevations and classical proportions. The three-bay front, with one window on each side of the central doorway, is characteristic of the Georgian style. The dominant features of the house are the large windows on all four façades. The exterior walls are constructed of rough cut limestone. Two chimneys are located on the house: an original one on the north side and a rebuilt chimney on the south side. The shallow hipped roof has a simple cornice line punctuated by a small gable dormer over the central doorway.

Sources: Village of Elora By-law No. 3206-96 and Reasons for Designation, 1996.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Chalmers Manse include its:
- location of the site allowing for a commanding view of the Elora Gorge
- exterior rough cut limestone walls and window openings
- small gable dormer over the central doorway
- front entrance, roof and chimneys
- stone shed
- size and massing with symmetrical facades and classical proportions




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1876/01/01 to 1876/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



George Sinclair

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Township of Centre Wellington 1 MacDonald Square Elora, ON N0B1S0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places