James Craig House
196, Widder Street East, St. Marys, Town of, Ontario, N4X, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
James Craig House
196 Widder Street East
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The James Craig House is located at 196 Widder Street East, on the south side of Widder Street East, west of Peel Street North, in the Town of St. Marys. The one-storey clapboard residence was constructed in 1873.
The property was designated, by the Town of St. Marys, in 1993, for its architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 3-1993.
The James Craig House was built in North Ward Hill, in a neighbourhood of primarily large and grand houses. It stands out in quiet contrast to the larger homes, as a reminder of an earlier time and maintains a presence all its own.
The James Craig House is associated with James Craig and James Hamilton, two prominent builders who built the house as a residence for James Craig in 1873. The men were the proprietors of the Craig and Hamilton Planing Mill, a St. Marys mill that produced sashes and doors. Craig and Hamilton were also well-known for their fine carpentry work, which is evident not only in the James Craig House, but also in the Opera House.
The James Craig House is an excellent example of 19th century frame construction in St. Marys. Noteworthy features of the house include the gently-looping bargeboard and fretwork on the veranda and the double-hung, six over six windows, on the facade. Though the veranda, which spans the facade, and the north wing are thought to have been later additions, they maintain the simple design of the home and the integrity of the original construction. Interior features, including the door and window surrounds, the skirting boards and the wainscoting in the kitchen, are also original and are the work of Craig and Hamilton.
Sources: Town of St. Marys, By-law 3-1993; Reasons for Designation, 1993.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the James Craig House include its:
- carpentry work attributed to James Craig and James Hamilton
- frame and clapboard construction
- side gable roof
- double-hung, 6 over 6 windows, on the facade
- veranda, including the bargeboard and fretwork
- door and window surrounds, skirting boards and wainscoting on the interior
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Ont.)
Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario
Type de reconnaissance
Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Logement unifamilial
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Town of St. Marys
P.O. Box 998
175 Queen Street East
St. Marys, Ontario
Réfère à une collection