John H. Clark House
108, Robinson Street, Town of St. Marys, Ontario, N4X, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
John H. Clark House
108 Robinson Street
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The John H. Clark House is located at 108 Robinson Street and is situated on the west side of Robinson Street, on the west bank of the Thames River, in the Town of St. Marys. The one-storey buff-brick residence and the rubble-limestone carriage house were constructed in circa 1870.
The property was designated, by the Town of St. Marys, in 1987, for its architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 36-1987).
The John H. Clark House is prominently situated on the southwest corner of a large lot overlooking the Thames River. The house, lot and rubble-limestone carriage house are reminiscent of estates built in the 1800's. Its presence creates a visual link to the past.
The John H. Clark House was constructed in circa 1870 as a retirement home for John Henry Clark, a retired Irish farmer. It is thought that this home was a copy of an earlier residence owned by Clark that was located west of Rannoch, in the then Blanshard Township.
The John H. Clark House is a fine example of a small-scale residence with Regency influences. The house features a simple symmetrical plan with large window openings and shutters on the facade, as well as a recessed central door, which is framed by sidelights and a transom. Other noteworthy features include the enclosed veranda, which spans the north and west elevations and the cornice, which is situated beneath the roofline.
Sources: Town of St. Marys, By-law 36-1987; Reasons for Designation, 1987.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the John H. Clark House include its:
- prominent situation on a large lot overlooking the Thames River
- rubble-limestone carriage house
- one-storey buff-brick construction
- symmetrical plan
- large window openings
- 6 over 6 windows
- recessed central door with sidelights and transom
- cornice below the roofline
- enclosed veranda which spans the north and west elevations
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Ont.)
Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario
Type de reconnaissance
Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Édifice à logements multiples
- Logement unifamilial
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Town of St. Marys
P.O. Box 998
175 Queen St. East
St. Marys, Ontario
Réfère à une collection