Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1868/01/01 à 1869/01/01
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Haviland Club is located on the corner of Haviland and Water Streets in the South West corner of Charlottetown where many large 19th century homes reside. The beautiful, Italianate influenced, former residence has changed hands many times. It is now open to the public and has been renamed the Haviland Club. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The Haviland Club's heritage value lies in its association with the Lowden family, its association with the American Consulate and its grand architecture.
Esther Lowden, the widow of former tobacco merchant, George Fish Crow Lowden, built this home after the Great Fire of 1866 destroyed her home on Water Street. The home was rumored to be designed by Halifax architect, David Stirling, who favored the Italianate style of architecture. After her death in 1896, Lowden's son in law, LL Beer applied for authority to administer the estate, hence the home stayed in the Lowden and Beer families.
Soon after Lowden’s death, the home was leased to the American Consul for Prince Edward Island, Delmer J Vail. The home served as the American Consulate for many years. At one point in time, the American flag was likely to be the first flag seen upon entering the Charlottetown harbor. It flew from a thirty-foot flagpole set atop the belvedere. Following the closure of the Consulate, the home was rented to various tenants. However, in 1944, the residence was bought by the Army and Navy Club, later the United Services Officers' Club, to be used as a club. Since then, the club has been renamed the Haviland Club and has opened its membership to the public.
The Italianate style, former residence is one of the grandest in Charlottetown. The home was built in the fashionable area of the time, called Dundas Esplanade. By 1869, the local papers were describing the home as an architectural gem.
Source: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Record # 1438
The following Italianate characteristics contribute to the heritage value of the house:
- the symmetrical facade with twin bay windows on the first floor
- the placement and style of other windows in the building, including: round-headed windows on the second floor, two over two windows with lunettes, a roundel window, and small horizontal "eyebrow" windows in the frieze
- the prominient porch doorway
- the style of the door with transom light above and sidelights
- the pitch of the roof, capped by a belvedere, with roof level pediments on the front and sides, and decorative brackets under the eaves
- the four chimneys - two on each side
Autorité de reconnaissance
Ville de Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Type de reconnaissance
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Local pour association fraternelle, organisation sociale ou de bienfaisance
- Logement unifamilial
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Record # 1438
Réfère à une collection