Home / Accueil

GIBSON BLOCK BUILDING

9608 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5H, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 1994/05/30

Southwest corner of the Gibson Block Building on Jasper Avenue (January 2004).; City of Edmonton, 2004
Southwest corner.
South elevation of the Gibson Block Building looking towards Jasper Avenue (January 2004).; City of Edmonton, 2004
South elevation.
Pas d'image

Autre nom(s)

GIBSON BLOCK BUILDING
Flatiron Building
Gibson Block
Schubert and Wenzel Block

Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

1913/01/01

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2005/03/07

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

The Gibson Block Building, also known as the Flatiron Building, is a large wedge-shaped four-storey brick building constructed for commercial use on four city lots at the eastern edge of Edmonton's pre-World War One commercial core.

Valeur patrimoniale

The Gibson Block Building is valued as a rare example of a commercial building following the 1902 prototype of a flatiron building, so named for its distinctive triangular shape. The building design, with Chicago style influences, balances the vertical emphasis of pilasters and windows with the horizontal presentation of the continuous glass shop fronts and first storey and fourth storey cornices.

Developed by William Gibson, the Gibson Block Building characterizes the historic wave of prosperity and opportunity at the height of the commercial boom in pre-World War One Edmonton. Originally built to provide first floor retail space and offices on the remaining floors, the building's use has evolved with Edmonton's changing economic fortunes and has included office, retail and for a significant part of the historic period, the well-known Turkish Baths, which closed in 1978.

The Gibson Block Building's triangular form and prominent location on Jasper Avenue contribute to its valued local landmark status.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 10621)

Éléments caractéristiques

Key character-defining elements of the Gibson Block Building include:
- Massing and form of the building, in particular the triangular shape;
- Chicago style influences such as the brick pilasters, the continuous glass shop front at street level and the entablatures and cornices on the first level and at top of the building;
- Design elements such as the decorative square motif in brick and concrete, the restored amethyst prism glass, the cornice medallions, the stairwell windows on the north facade, including the fourth storey brick semicircular arch;
- The curved windows at the toe of the wedged shaped building;
- The south facade semicircular wooden archway main entrance with keystone design, including the doors and globe lights;
- Recessed storefront entrances and ceramic tiles on the south facade;
- The window openings, one over one, with cast stone sills.

Reconnaissance

Juridiction

Alberta

Autorité de reconnaissance

Administrations locales (Alb.)

Loi habilitante

Historical Resources Act

Type de reconnaissance

Ressource historique municipal

Date de reconnaissance

1994/05/30

Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes

s/o

Thème - catégorie et type

Économies en développement
Commerce et affaires
Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
L'architecture et l'aménagement

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction

Actuelle

Résidence
Résidence collective

Historique

Commerce / Services commerciaux
Bureau ou édifice à bureaux
Résidence
Édifice à logements multiples

Architecte / Concepteur

A.W. Cowley

Constructeur

J. Sheridan

Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (Digital File: HC 2155)

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.

4664-0042

Statut

Édité

Inscriptions associées

s/o

RECHERCHE DANS LE RÉPERTOIRE

Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches