Home / Accueil

Rydal Bank Church

1634, Highway 638, Township of Plummer Additional, Ontario, P0R, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 2006/11/22

Exterior showing foundation; Jean Hershey
Rydal Bank Church
Exterior View; Jean Hershey
Rydal Bank Church
Interior View; Jean Hershey
Rydal Bank

Autre nom(s)

Rydal Bank Church
Rydal Bank United Church

Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

1907/01/01 à 1908/01/01

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2007/11/06

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

The Rydal Bank Church is located at 1630 Highway 638 on the east side of the highway in Rydal Bank, which is 10 km north of Bruce Mines, Ontario. This single storey is owned by the Rydal Bank Historical Society, RR2, Bruce Mines, Ontario P0R 1C0.

Rydal Bank Church is recognized for its heritage value by Township of Plummer Additional By-law 2006-50.

Valeur patrimoniale

The Church was built in 1907 by noted local builder Walter Robinson and his son, Walter Robinson, Jr., on land sold by Catharine (Day) Hoath, for one dollar. Lot Four, Concession One was purchased by the Trustees of the church, James Edmunds, Oliver Burden and Alexander Finlayson. The opening service for The Rydal Bank Presbyterian Church was held on January 5, 1908.

This simple country church was built on a stone foundation utilizing a local conglomerate rock (puddingstone) and clad with clapboard and decorative wood shingles on the front gable end. The off-set steeple, the large gothic arched stained glass window and pierced board gable trim of the front elevation provide a warm welcome to its visitors. On the interior, the rich natural wood panelling, white-globed lamps, wooden pews and pulpit are testimony to the craftsmanship of the early residents of the community.

The Church also houses an early pump organ that was played by Mrs. Viola Inch from 1913 to 1978 and that is still played at the annual church service held in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the Historical Society.

The Church, which served as the Rydal Bank United Church from the time of Church Union, was closed by the United Church in 1978. It was purchased in 1989 by the Rydal Bank Historical Society which maintains and preserves the building as a “living museum”.

Sources: Township of Plummer Additional By-Law 2006-50, and Township of Plummer Additional Municipal Heritage Sites Register.

Éléments caractéristiques

Key character defining elements that embody the heritage value of the Rydal Bank Church include its:
- stone foundation which includes samples of puddingstone, a conglomerate rock distinctive to the area
- off-set steeple
- clapboard exterior painted white
- arched windows along the sides and across the front
- stained glass panels in each window
- rich, natural finish, wood interior
- white glass globed lamps hanging from the ceiling
- wooden pews and pulpit and communion table
- the pump organ
- two Honour Rolls listing names of those who served in both World Wars.




Autorité de reconnaissance

Administrations locales (Ont.)

Loi habilitante

Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario

Type de reconnaissance

Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
Les institutions religieuses

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction



Religion, rituel et funéraille
Centre religieux ou lieu de culte

Architecte / Concepteur



Walter Robinson Sr. and Walter Robinson Jr.

Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

The Corporation of the Township of Plummer Additional, Township Clerk, 38 Railway Crescent, RR2, Bruce Mines, Ontario P0R 1C0

Réfère à une collection

The Rydal Bank Historical Society, 16 Hoath Street, RR2, Bruce Mines, Ontario P0R 1C0

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées



Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches