King George Public School
400, Park Ave., Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1912/01/01 à 1913/01/01
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
Situated at the corner of Park and Victoria, King George Public School is Newmarket's oldest functioning elementary public school. This square brick building, with entrances on both street frontages, is built upon a limestone foundation, stands two-storeys in height and takes up the entire block.
It has been recognised for its heritage value by Newmarket By-law 1986-149.
King George Public School, at 400 Park Avenue, is the oldest functioning public school building and is a well-preserved example of early 20th century public school architecture. It was constructed in 1912 to 1913 to accommodate an increase in pupils, replacing an earlier school on the same site. McIntosh, a local contractor, built the structure to plans and specifications developed by architect O. E. Trench. The school served the primary grades until 1983 when the school board decided to replace the old school building, believing it would cost more to renovate the structure. The building was designated in 1986 to prevent demolition, as it was the town's oldest functioning public school, as well as being a well-preserved example of early twentieth century public school architecture. The school continued to serve grades one through eight until 1993. Since then it has been used for various educational uses. In 2006, the old school building was used by Dr. John M. Dennison Secondary School in their Alternate Education Program, while the Ministry of Health occupied half of the basement.
This red brick, square, two-storey building rests on a limestone block foundation and contains entrance bays with concrete quoins and ornamental projections rising above its flat roof. The projecting two-storey entrances (one on Park Ave. and the other on Victoria St.) are sided in limestone to match the foundation, while decorative moulding and brick banding are incorporated at the top of the walls. Quoining is repeated along the corners of the building, but in simulated brick. Large windows, surmounted by concrete lintels, illuminate the six classrooms within this school.
Source: Newmarket By-law 1986-149.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of King George Public School include its:
- continuous use as a public school in Newmarket
- square, two-storey design with entrance bays and large windows
- red brick exterior walls and limestone foundation and entranceways
- its moulding, brick banding and quoining, concrete lintels and ornamental projections as decorative features
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Ont.)
Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario
Type de reconnaissance
Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- L'éducation et le bien-être de la société
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- École primaire ou secondaire
Architecte / Concepteur
O. E. Trench
Emplacement de la documentation
Newmarket Historical Society
134 Main Street S.
C/O Town Clerk,
Town of Newmarket Municipal Offices
395 Mulock Drive
P.O. Box 328 STN Main
Newmarket, ON L3Y 4X7
Réfère à une collection