Home / Accueil

James Morrison Residence

15 Orange Street, Saint John, New Brunswick, E2L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1982/03/18

This photograph provides a contextual view of the building, 2005; City of Saint John
James Morrison Residence - Contextual view
This image shows a triple vertical sliding wood window with leaded glass, 2005; City of Saint John
James Morrison Residence - Triple window
This image shows the two paned transom window over the Craftsmen style paired wood doors with multiple glass panels, 2005; City of Saint John
James Morrison Residence - Entrance

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/02/17

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The James W. Morrison Residence is a two-storey, wooden Craftsman building. It is located on Orange Street within the Orange Street Preservation Area of Saint John.

Heritage Value

The James W. Morrison Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants.

The James W. Morrison Residence is recognized as one of a collection of commercial and residential buildings that were built after two thirds of the City of Saint John were destroyed by the fire in 1877. Built in 1881, this residence is an example of vernacular Craftsman architecture from the rebuilding period in Saint John following the fire.

The James W. Morrison Residence is also recognized for its association with James W. Morrison and his family. A carpenter by trade, Morrison built this residence. He was of Irish descent and his family first arrived in Saint John in the early 1800’s. By 1887, he established a small independent business as a builder which was located at 59 Sydney Street. After his death in 1896, his wife, Jane Morrison took over ownership of the house and lived there with her son, James W. Morrison, Jr. Following her death in 1899, the ownership of this property passed on to her two sons, Robert and James. James continued to live there after his mother’s passing until 1908. Taking after his father in some respects, Morrison took up a profession as an architect and real estate broker. He operated his own business out of the building known as the Ritchie Building located on Princess Street. This residence remained in the Morrison family until 1914.

Source: Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the James W. Morrison Residence include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- projecting cornice;
- four-paned, triple and single windows along the front façade;
- two-paned, rectangular transom window over wooden double doors with multiple glass panels.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Municipal Heritage Preservation Act, s.5(1)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Preservation Act

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1881/01/01 to 1914/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



James W. Morrison

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places