Home / Accueil

George Warwick Residence

34 Orange Street, Saint John, New Brunswick, E2L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1982/03/18

This photograph is a contextual view of the building, 2005; City of Saint John
George Warwick Residence
This image provides a view of the entrance with a pedimented entablature, brackets, pilasters, a transom window and paired wood doors with segmented arched glass panels, 2005; City of Saint John
George Warwick Residence - Entrance
This image provides a view of the cornice ornamented by dentils and supported by wood brackets, 2005; City of Saint John
George Warwick Residence - Cornice

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1885/01/01 to 1886/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/02/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The George Warwick Residence is a wooden two-storey Italianate building. It is located on Orange Street within the Orange Street Preservation Area of the City of Saint John.

Heritage Value

The George Warwick Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants.

Built between 1885 and 1886, the George Warwick Residence is recognized as being a part of the building boom near the turn of the 20th century. The Great Saint John Fire of 1877 destroyed nearly the entire Central Peninsula of the City of Saint John and the commercial district of the city was quickly rebuilt, but many of the residential lots to the south and east of the commercial district were not immediately built upon due in part to residents building further away from the commercial districts and due to many residents deserting the city in need of immediate employment. From the late 1880's up to the early 1900's these lots were being built upon in a feverish manner. This residence is an example of Italianate residential architecture from this delayed rebuilding period in Saint John following the fire.

The George Warwick Residence is also recognized for its association with George Warwick. Initially built for and owned by the widow of former naval captain, Andrew Kenney, George A. Warwick acquired and took up residence in 1911. As a young man he entered the china and glassware business of his father, O.H. Warwick & Co., Ltd., before it amalgamated with the firm of W.H. Hayward and became the prominent, Hayward & Warwick, Ltd. He continued to be a part of this firm throughout his career. In addition to this, Warwick served as secretary-treasurer of the Deaf and Dumb Institute, was a former president of the YMCA, as well as a long-standing member of the Union Club. During the First World War, Warwick, along with E.A. Schofield, initiated the organization of the first Victory Loan Drives in Saint John. In addition to this, he acted as secretary-treasurer of the War Veteran’s Building Company for 25 years. In 1935, Warwick became one of several businessmen in the city to join the Civic Improvement League, a group intended to promote and advocate improvements in the civic government. Warwick remained at this Orange Street address until 1929.

Source: Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John

Character-Defining Elements

The character defining elements that describe the George Warwick Residence include:
- square two-storey massing;
- clapboard siding;
- small central pediment along the roof line of the front façade;
- projecting cornice ornamented modillions and four, evenly spaced brackets;
- moulded entablatures of the second storey windows with small central brackets;
- tall, narrow rectangular windows with pediments supported by brackets and ornamented by dentils;
- wooden horizontal band between the first and second storeys;
- Doric pilasters at either end of the front façade;
- pediment over the entrance ornamented by dentils, an etched in circular design across the lintel and supported by two long brackets and one shorter centre bracket;
- transom window over wooden double doors with segmented arch glass panels;
- decorative pilasters on either side of the entrance;
- sandstone steps;
- brick foundation.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Municipal Heritage Preservation Act, s.5(1)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Preservation Act

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1911/01/01 to 1929/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places