G.H. Tutt House
809 DeHart Avenue, Kelowna, British Columbia, V1Y, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The historic place is the G.H. Tutt House, built in 1910 in cottage style, and located at 809 DeHart Avenue in Kelowna's South Central neighbourhood
The heritage value of the G.H. Tutt House is derived from its 84-year association with one of the community's long-standing pioneer families. It is also valued as a good example of pre-WW1 cottage-style residence.
George and Sarah Tutt emigrated from England in 1910, landing at Saint John, New Brunswick, and coming across Canada by train to Kelowna. They brought with them their children, Duncan, Fred, Violet, Henry, and Cecily. The family tented in City Park while father George built this house. George Tutt started Tutt's Tailor Shop in 1910, a business he operated for 36 years. When he retired, his son Fred took over and spent his entire working life in the tailoring trade.
After George Tutt's death, several of the children continued to reside with their mother Sarah in this house. This gives value for the continuity of having the same family in the house for 84 years. Cecily worked as an operator for the Okanagan Telephone Company and Violet (d. 1985) was a schoolteacher. Henry, after a short employment as a grocery clerk, worked as a clerk for Dominion Express and then for Canadian Pacific Express for 45 years. For many years he was a tenor soloist at the First United Church. He also sang with the Ogopogo Concert Club on radio station 10-AY (the forerunner of CKOV) from 1928 to 1931. He was one of the founding members of the Kelowna SPCA, and was widely known as 'Mr. SPCA' for his contribution to the welfare of the city's animals. He lived in this house until his death in 1994.
The house has value for its architecture as well. It began as a single-storey, hipped-roof cottage, with an entrance porch beneath the eaves. The manner is typical of the many simple, inexpensive houses that were built during the early years of Kelowna's development. Over the years, additions were made and the attic floor opened up by dormers.
Source: City of Kelowna Planning Department
The character-defining elements of the G.H. Tutt House include its:
- location on DeHart Avenue in Kelowna's South Central neighbourhood
- residential form, scale and massing, as expressed by its one-and-one-half-storey height and square plan with extensions
- medium-pitched hipped roof over original house
- medium-pitched hipped roof over projecting room facing street
- brick chimneys
- wood beveled siding and wide vertical V-joint wood boards
- covered, open, large porch with side entrance at grade on right side
- wood-sash windows with wood trim
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.954
Community Heritage Register
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Kelowna Planning Department
Cross-Reference to Collection