G. Davis House
1927 Ethel Street, Kelowna, British Columbia, V1Y, Canada
G. Davis House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The historic place is the one-and-one-half-storey wood-framed G. Davis House, built in 1923 and located at 1927 Ethel Street in Kelowna's South Central neighbourhood.
The heritage value of the G. Davis House is found primarily in its being a good, although altered, example of second-generation Craftsman Bungalow architecture built during the inter-war period of growth.
Although the entrance porch appears to be a later addition, the form of the original one-and-one-half-storey building is clearly visible behind it. The gabled roof with a large central dormer resembles the Craftsman Bungalow that reached its peak in the previous decade.
This house was built in 1923 by A. Cather for George and Annie Davis. George Davis is identified from 1936 to 1947 as a 'farmer', although this property was by no means a farm. He and Annie moved elsewhere around 1946, and in 1948 he was listed as retired.
Source: City of Kelowna Planning Department
The character-defining elements of the G. Davis House include its:
- location on Ethel Street, in Kelowna's South Central neighbourhood
- residential form, scale and massing, as expressed by its one-and-one-half-storey height and rectangular plan
- medium-pitched gabled roof with deep eaves
- gabled dormer facing the street, with deep eaves, wood brackets, and one-over-one, double-hung, wood-sash windows with plain, wide, painted-wood trim
- mature landscaping around the perimeter of the property, with a lawn in front
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.954
Community Heritage Register
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Kelowna Planning Department
Cross-Reference to Collection