Home / Accueil

Kuntz-Eckert House

156, King Street S., City of Waterloo, Ontario, N2J, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1988/05/02

Façade of the Italianate Kuntz-Eckert House, 2007.; Lindsay Benjamin, 2007.
Façade of 156 King Street South
North and west elevations of the Kuntz-Eckert House depicting the Italianate bracketing, 2007.; Linsday Benjamin, 2007.
North and West Elevations of 156 King Street South
View of the two-storey projecting bay including the segmentally arched windows, 2007.; Linsday Bejamin, 2007.
South and West Elevations of 156 King Street South

Other Name(s)

156 King Street South
Kuntz-Eckert House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/12

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Kuntz-Eckert House is located at 156 King Street South, on the east side of the road, between William Street East and George Street, in the City of Waterloo. This two-storey yellow-brick building was designed in the Italianate style and was constructed in circa 1880.

This property was designated, by the City of Waterloo, for its historic and architectural value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 88-75).

Heritage Value

The Kuntz family occupied other homes in the area, but most were demolished to facilitate expansion of the Brewery. One house which remains is the Kuntz-Labatt House located across the street, at 167 King Street South. The two homes make an interesting comparison, as both houses are built of yellow-brick in the Italianate style, however each expresses the style in a different manner.

The Kuntz-Eckert House was built in circa 1880 by David Kuntz on property acquired, in 1856, from John Hoffman, a prosperous Berlin furniture maker. David Kuntz was the founder of the L. Kuntz Park Brewery, originally known as the Spring Brewery. The Brewery was founded in 1844 and by 1910 grew to become Ontario's second largest brewery. The Kuntz family occupied the home until Anna Eckert acquired the property, in 1898. The house remained in her possession until her death.

The Kuntz-Eckert House is a good example of a mid-to-late 19th century merchant's home. The structure is clad with yellow-brick and accented with elaborate roof brackets. The two-storey projecting bay with segmented arched windows dominates the façade. The main entrance is enhanced by side-lights with a blind transom. The porch retains its original detailing below the roof, which is supported by chamfered porch posts.

Sources: City of Waterloo By-Law 88-75.; Designation Proposal from the LACAC. Kuntz Brewery, City of Waterloo Designated Landmarks, Waterloo LACAC, 1995.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Kuntz-Eckert House include its:
- yellow-brick cladding
- two-storey projecting bay with segmented arched windows
- main entrance including the side-lights and transom
- porch detailing below the roof and chamfered porch posts
- proximity to another Kuntz owned house, the Kuntz-Labatt's House located at 167 King Street South




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1988/01/01 to 1988/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



David Kuntz

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Waterloo 100 Regina Street S. Waterloo ON N2J 4A8

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places