Main Street running into Queen Street, Bathurst, New Brunswick, E2A, Canada
Pont de la gare
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Causeway Park is a municipal green space developed along the banks of the causeway that crosses Bathurst Basin. Formerly known as Station Bridge, Causeway Park is the western extension of Main Street toward Queen Street in Bathurst.
Causeway Park is recognized as a Local Historic Place because of the importance of the causeway as a transportation link. Formerly, there was a bridge built by Arcade Landry in 1889 to facilitate access to the railway station from the downtown area. That bridge was destroyed by a storm in 1940, and that was when the causeway was built to replace it.
Causeway Park is also valued for its function as a park. In 1985, the municipality recognized it as a park, gave it the official name of Causeway Park, and began developing its banks into an area for walking, relaxation, and various commemorations. The walking trail offers panoramic views of the entire Bathurst Basin.
Causeway Park is also valued for its cultural status as a meeting place for various celebrations. It contains many commemorative monuments that are important to the people of Bathurst.
Source: Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission, Inc., file "Parc Causeway Park"
The character-defining elements that give Causeway Park local heritage value include:
- access road to the railway station and its banks, which have been transformed into a park;
- the tree planted in 1985 to mark the twinning of the City of Bathurst with Saint-Aubin sur mer in France;
- the Celtic cross monument erected in 1997 to commemorate the Irish immigrants;
- the bell from the old post office, dated 1889 and manufactured by the E. Chanteloup foundry in Montreal;
- the tree planted in 2000 to mark the centennial of the founding of the Nicolas Denys and Gloucester chapters of the I.O.D.E. (Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire);
- the Wellness Way/Parcours Santé trail sponsored by the Réseau Communauté en Santé in 1985;
- the entrances consisting of low stone walls and iron arches bearing the inscription “Parc Causeway Park.”
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1940/01/01 to 1940/01/01
1985/01/01 to 1985/01/01
1889/01/01 to 1889/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Commemorative Monument
- Bridge, Tunnel or Other Engineering Work
- Road or Public Way
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission, 360 Douglas Avenue, Bathurst, N. B.
Cross-Reference to Collection