81 Principale Street, Rivière-Verte, New Brunswick, E7C, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Smyth House is a one-and-a-half storey vernacular residence inspired by the Queen Anne Revival style, located on the corner of Principale Street and Davis Road in Rivière-Verte. It was built in 1898.
Smyth House is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the former owners.
The house was built in 1898 by the Smyth family, who came from Ireland and played a very important role in the commercial development of the Rivière-Verte region. Founding the general store, now called Épicerie R. H. Clavette, as well as several lumber mills, which have since disappeared, and an important farm in the community, the Smyth family contributed to some of the Village of Rivière-Verte’s finest days. J. Henry Smyth and James Patrick A. Smyth were the last original owners of the family home in 1981.
Source: Madawaska Planning Commission - Rivière-Verte Register of Historic Places, File 5.2 "Maison Smyth"
The character-defining elements that describe the Smyth House include:
- one-and-a-half storey asymmetrical massing;
- gable roof;
- large verandas;
- three dormers crossing the eaves;
- continuous association in the community with the Smyth family.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Migration and Immigration
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Madawaska Planning Commission, Rivière-Verte Register of Historic Places, File 5.2
Cross-Reference to Collection