Description of Historic Place
The Mallory House and Stable consists of an 1810 Greek Revival residence and a late Victorian-era stable in close proximity at the intersection of Water Street and Princess Royal Streets in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Mallory House and Stable is recognized as a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its role in the tourism industry, for its association with early town conveniences, and for its long time association with the Mallory family.
This landmark property is located on Water Street in downtown St. Andrews. The house was built in 1810 and underwent some changes in the 1870's. The house has classic simple symmetry and the dormer window and eave returns were enlarged after the Victorian-era alterations.
Mallory House was built for loyalist Robert Pagan and through the first 59 years the home served as a tavern and an inn with five bedrooms on the second floor and four on the third floor. William E. Mallory purchased the home in 1879 and it still remains in the Mallory family today (2009). William Mallory obtained a livery contract with the Canadian Pacific Railway transporting guests and their luggage from the railway station to the famed Algonquin Hotel. He built the large barn in 1889 and kept up to 15 horses in its basement stalls and later replaced these with automobiles. In 1892 Mallory’s was advertised as such: “When you go for a drive and want a good team, something that is comfortable as well as fashionable - handsome carriages, kind and speedy horses, and careful drivers then patronize W. E. Mallory’s”. After the introduction of the automobile, W. E. Mallory’s became a taxi service.
Until a town water system was constructed in 1921, Mallory sourced his own water. He built a windmill on top of the barn which pumped the water from a cistern in the basement of the house. The first telephone line in the town of St. Andrews was connected between the Algonquin Hotel and the stable in 1900. Until this time Mr. Mallory had a boy messenger waiting at the railway station with a bicycle waiting for passengers needing a coach.
This home was later occupied by Charles Mallory and was the childhood home of William Mallory’s grandson, James Russell Mallory. James Russell Mallory was a Canadian academic and constitutional expert. From 1941 to 1943, he was an instructor in political science at the University of Saskatchewan. From 1943 to 1944, he was a lecturer in political economy at the University of Toronto. From 1944 to 1946, he was an Assistant Professor of political economy at Brandon College. He joined McGill University in 1946 as an Assistant Professor and would remain there until retiring in 1977. He was appointed an Associate Professor in 1948 and a Professor of Political Science in 1959. He was the author of "Social Credit and the Federal Power in Canada" and "The Structure of Canadian Government". In 1964, he was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. He was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977. The McGill University James R. Mallory Lecture in Canadian Studies is named in his honour.
Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick, St. Andrews Historic Places file, “Mallory House and Stable”
The character-defining elements of the Mallory property include:
Greek Revival house:
- central dormer with gable;
- gable roof with eave returns;
- vertical sliding wood windows;
- pilaster corner boards;
- symmetrical window plan with shutters;
- wood cladding;
- corner property with close proximity to street.
- gabled roof with jerkinhead apex and returned eaves;
- pilaster corner boards;
- central cupola;
- large stable door;
- 6/6 vertical sliding wood framed windows;
- W. E. Mallory sign recognizing the historical enterprise;
- rock foundation;
- exterior basement entranceway.