Sir Samuel Tilley Summer Residence
Maison d'été de Sir Samuel Tilley
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Linden Grange is a one-and-a-half storey Second Empire style residence with a two-storey tower and a mansard roof. It sits upon a hill in a large landscaped lot in St. Andrews.
Linden Grange is designated as a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its past occupants.
Linden Grange is recognized for its architecture. It is a good example of a late-19th century Second Empire residence in St. Andrews. Although not originally a Second Empire home, the mansard roof with dormers and elaborate entranceway are lasting expressions of this style. A historic drawing indicates that this home was originally a one-storey brick Georgian style residence with a hipped roof. Sir Leonard Tilley obtained Linden Grange from Benjamin Stevenson in 1871 and replaced the hipped roof with a mansard roof as the Second Empire style was very common at that time and the Mansard roof made more space and allowed for lighting in the upper storeys as well as an upper storey balcony in this home.
Linden Grange is also recognized for its association with its past occupants. The original house was built in 1829 for James Douglas from dower of his wife Grace Ramsay Campbell. Little is known of Mr. Douglas but the Campbell family in St. Andrews was very affluent.
Sir Leonard Tilley, who purchased the home in 1871, was born in Gagetown in 1818. He was one of the Father’s of Confederation and Minister of Customs in the first cabinet of the Dominion of Canada in 1867. He was a member of the New Brunswick Legislative Assembly for many years and was twice appointed Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick, his second term of office lasting until 1893. He passed away in Saint John in 1896. The Tilley’s were the first summer visitors to buy property in St. Andrews. Tilley took a keen interest in the town and was president of the St. Andrews Land Company, which did much to promote tourism, and was also president of the St. Andrews Hotel Company which financed the building of the Algonquin Hotel in 1889.
In 1921 the house was auctioned off from the front steps of the post office and the top bidder was Charles Hosmer. Charles obtained the home for his daughter Miss Olive Hosmer. Miss Hosmer was ill and when she complained of noise from neighbouring properties her father obtained them and tore them down. The Hosmer’s even had the top of William Street closed to traffic. Miss Hosmer continued to come to St. Andrews until her death in 1965 when she left the home to her personal maid. Miss Hosmer left money in her will to the various churches in St. Andrews and to the town to provide playgrounds or sports fields for the children. Funds valued close to $ 1,000,000 were provided by Olive Hosmer primarily for “the establishment, endowment and maintenance of the Hosmer Chair of Applied Physiology in the Faculty of Medicine of McGill University". Miss Hosmer left $100,000.00 to the Royal Victoria Hospital Training School for Nurses. Miss Hosmer has a lengthy list of financial contributions to St. Andrews and Montreal.
Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick, St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Linden Grange”
The character-defining elements that describe the Second Empire architecture of Linden Grange include:
- mansard roof;
- dormer windows crowned with pediments;
- scrolled ears at base of dormer windows;
- sandstone quoins;
- sandstone entablatures and sills;
- window placement and proportions;
- central entranceway.
The character-defining elements of the portico include:
- second storey balcony with balustrade;
- square pilasters;
- wood paneled door;
- sidelights with wood base panels;
- transom window;
- 12 steps to elevated entrance.
The character-defining elements of the two-storey tower designed by Edward Maxwell include:
- multiple façades;
- ranks of windows circumnavigating upper and lower storeys of the tower;
- octagonal roof.
The character-defining elements that describe the Linden Grange property include:
- large landscaped grounds.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1871/01/01 to 1871/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Politics and Political Processes
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Cross-Reference to Collection