168 Water Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in the mid-1800’s, the Ingram Building is a wooden, three-storey, Classic Revival commercial building located on Water Street, the primary commercial street of the Town of St. Andrews.
The Ingram Building is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its function as a commercial building on Water Street for approximately 150 years.
Architecturally, the Ingram Building is significant because it is an excellent example of mid-19th century vernacular Classic Revival commercial architecture. Like many of the buildings along St. Andrews’ primary commercial street, the building is virtually unchanged and features large storefront windows and recessed entranceway typical of Victorian-era commercial buildings. The deeply recessed entranceway serves as the primary attraction to this building. Cylindrical posts divide the entrance from the large storefront windows. The recessed entranceway was an important element to allow for more window space for merchants to display their goods. The building was designed for the dual purpose of having the shop located on the ground level and living space in the upper storeys accessible from an entry at one end of the storefront and an interior stairway. The exterior features of the upper levels are rather simplistic, resulting in the storefront receiving increased attention.
This building is also recognized for its function as a commercial building on Water Street for approximately 150 years. This building has had many uses over the years. The first known use in the 1870's was that of a variety store with William Ingram being the proprietor. Mr. Ingram was born in Newton Abbot, England and came to St. Andrews in 1834. Mr. Ingram was one of the many European immigrants to arrive during the 1820's and 1830's which helped bolster the economy.
Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick, St. Andrews Historic Places File, “The Ingram Building”
The character defining elements of this commercial vernacular Classic Revival building includes:
- rectangular three-storey massing;
- rectangular vertical sliding windows;
- symmetrical three rank window placement;
- property flanked by buildings of similar age and style on the main street of the town;
- overhanging cornice with modillions;
- clapboard siding.
The character-defining elements relating to the storefront of the building include:
- heavily moulded cornice;
- large storefront windows flanking entrance;
- cylindrical posts dividing large storefront windows from the entrance;
- recessed entrance;
- side windows of the recessed entrance with wooden base panels;
- flush lateral entrance for upper floors on the front façade.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick, "Ingram Building"
Cross-Reference to Collection