Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in the mid-1850's, Stickney's Wedgwood Store is a wooden, three-storey, vernacular Classic Revival commercial building. It is located on Water Street in St. Andrews.
Stickney’s Wedgwood Store is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the historic enterprise of Stickney’s Wedgwood.
Architecturally, Stickney’s Wedgwood Store is significant because it is an excellent example of mid-19th century vernacular Classic Revival commercial architecture. Like many of the buildings along St. Andrews’ primary commercial street, the building is virtually unchanged and features large storefront windows and recessed entranceways typical of Victorian-era commercial buildings. The deeply recessed entranceways serve as the primary attraction to this building. Cylindrical posts divide the entranceways from the large storefront windows. The recessed entranceway was an important element to allow for more window space for merchants to display their goods. The building was designed for the dual purpose of having the shops located on the ground level and living space in the upper storeys accessible from an entry at one end of the storefront and an interior stairway. The exterior features of the upper levels are rather simplistic resulting in the storefront receiving increased attention. The storefront windows are divided into four parts with attractive heavily moulded mullions and muntins.
Stickney's Wedgwood Store is also recognized for its long association with Stickney's Wedgwood Enterprise. This building was built circa 1845 for George F. Stickney. George F. Stickney was born in 1822 at Debert Village, Colchester County, Nova Scotia. When still a young lad, he moved to Saint John and became an apprentice in a jewellery store. In 1841 he moved to St. Andrews and went into business for himself as a watch maker and repairer. In 1845 Stickney’s Wedgwood Store was established. In this store, he had floor space of 3,600 square feet using all three floors. George Stickney was the pioneer importer of Wedgwood ware into Atlantic Canada and at one time he owned shares in 10 vessels.
George passed away in 1892 and it was his dying wish that his business should be continued after his death, and to be operated by members of his family. Stickney’s Wedgwood Store was operated at this location by his descendants for approximately 100 years after his death. Tourists have travelled great distances through the years to patronize Stickney’s celebrated Wedgwood store.
Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick, St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Stickney’s Wedgwood Store”
The character-defining elements of this vernacular Classic Revival commercial building includes:
- rectangular three-storey massing;
- overhanging cornice with modillions;
- symmetrical fenestration of rectangular vertical sliding windows;
- complex vertically divided for two stores;
- bracketed wooden entablatures;
- wood cladding.
The character-defining elements relating to the storefront include:
- wood cornice with broad fascia;
- four large four-part storefront windows;
- recessed store entranceways;
- posts dividing storefront windows from the recessed entrance;
- wood-paneled doors with glass upper panels;
- side windows of the recessed entrance with wooden base panels;
- storefront windows with heavily moulded mullions and muntins.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Cross-Reference to Collection