Description of Historic Place
Meadow Lodge is a two-storey, twenty-room, wooden residence built in the Shingle Style in 1909 and designed by famed Montreal architects Edward and William Maxwell. It is located on Harriet Street in St. Andrews.
Meadow Lodge is designated a Local Historic Place for its outstanding architecture, for its association with the architects who designed it, as well as for its association with its former occupants.
Meadow Lodge was built in 1909 and designed by Edward and William Maxwell. The architectural practise of brothers Edward and William Maxwell was among the most important in Canada during the early decades of the 20th century, their works still holding a place of prominence throughout Canada. The Maxwell period in Canada extended from 1892 until 1939 and spanned the late Victorian, Edwardian and early modern eras. The most vital period was from 1902 until 1923 when the two brothers worked together. At the peak of their career they were the largest and most prominent architectural firm in Canada and employed as many as 56 draftsmen. The Maxwell’s were also responsible for furnishing and decorating Meadow Lodge, as well as laying out the grounds for the driveway, gardening, tennis court, and stable. Meadow Lodge is not designed for winter and has strictly been a summer residence for its near 100-year existence.
The Maxwell’s designed many Picturesque and Shingle Style buildings with classical influences. The classical influence of Meadow Lodge is evident in the Palladian and Roman arched windows, as well as the pilasters. Meadow Lodge is distinguished through its massing, its long sloping roof and its wraparound veranda. The three primary front-facing dormers are key characteristics. The carriage house at Meadow Lodge, also designed by the Maxwell's, is distinguished by its large dormers with Gothic Revival arches. The deeply recessed central façade forms a small court in the front centre of the building. This area was designed for Thompson's horses and as living quarters for the coachmen.
Meadow Lodge was built as a summer residence for Frederick W. Thompson, Vice President and Managing Director of Ogilvie Flour Mills. Mr. Thompson was influenced to build in St. Andrews by Montreal financier and the President of Ogilvie Flour Mills, Charles Hosmer. Mr. Hosmer had a summer home designed by the Maxwell's four years previous. St. Andrews was becoming a summer resort for many of Montreal's elite. Mr. Thompson was born in 1862 and joined the Ogilvie Flour Mills in 1882. By 1889 he had become manager of the company's business in the northwest. Thompson took a prominent role in the federal election of 1911, speaking out against reciprocity with the United States and opposing wider Imperial relations. Mr. Thompson only had the chance to enjoy this home for a few of summers as he died prematurely in 1912. Mr. Thompson's widow maintained ownership of the home until her death 42 years later (1954). Mrs. Thompson would spend most summers here with her grandchildren and many other guests. In 1967 it was obtained by Lady Dunn to accommodate the new National Hockey League franchise, St. Louis Blues, while they were in St. Andrews for training camp. Legendary coach Scotty Bowman and hockey greats Jacques Plante and Doug Harvey stayed here at Meadow Lodge.
Source: Charlotte County Archives – Old Gaol – St. Andrews, New-Brunswick, St. Andrews Historic Places file, “Meadow Lodge”
The character-defining elements of this Shingle Style residence with Classical influence include:
- layout of the grounds reflecting the Maxwell's original plan;
- window placement and proportions;
- rectangular plan with minimal wall space due to the sloping roof;
- long sloping roof with modillions under the eaves;
- three dormers, resting upon the veranda roof, having arched surrounds decorated with keystones and modillions;
- elongated single shed dormer with multiple openings in main roof;
- Palladian window in central dormer with base panel and pediment gable;
- four pilasters dividing the openings of the Palladian window;
- Roman arched windows in the flanking dormers;
- decorative shingle appliqués flanking the Roman arched windows in the dormers and along the veranda rail;
- wraparound veranda;
- sloping veranda roof supported by numerous classical posts;
- one-storey bow window which forms the base of a second storey balcony on the south side façade;
- continuing slope of the roof providing for the rails of second storey balcony;
- small triple windows under the eaves between central dormer and flanking dormers;
- lights divided horizontally, vertically, and diagonally into eight parts.
The character-defining elements of the carriage house that forms part of the original plan of this property include:
- sloping roof;
- central bay recessed from the two flanking bays forming a small court in the front centre of the property;
- flanking bays with hipped roofs and dormers;
- central bay with cross-gabled dormer;
- Gothic arches recessed under steep gables on the central and northernmost dormers, as well as on the north façade;
- large paired wooden stable doors under a segmented arch in the central bay;
- Gothic arch window, with multiple panes, in the central bay interrupted by a second storey door.