Home / Accueil

All Saints Anglican Rectory

94 Frederick Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/09/04

This photograph shows the front and north façades of the building, 2007; Town of St. Andrews
All Saints Anglican Rectory - Contextual view
This photograph shows the south façade of the building, 2007; Town of St. Andrews
All Saints Anglican Rectory - South façade
This photograph shows the Roman arch window on the south façade of the building, 2007; Town of St. Andrews
All Saints Anglican Rectory - Window

Other Name(s)

All Saints Anglican Rectory
Frank Howard Grimmer Residence
Résidence Frank Howard Grimmer

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/08/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The All Saints Anglican Rectory is a two-storey, brick, Neo-Classical residence built circa 1826. It is located on the southwest corner of Frederick and Montague Streets in St. Andrews.

Heritage Value

The All Saints Anglican Rectory is recognized for its architectural value and for its association with its past occupants.

The All Saints Anglican Rectory, built circa 1826, is one of the oldest brick buildings in St. Andrews. This residence represents one of the many handsome residences built near the close of the 1820's and the early 1830's that still remain in much of their original massing and detail. Neo-Classical was the most common style used in the 1820-1830 era and this residence demonstrates the symmetrical layout of this style. This home, like the others built in this style, has an elaborate entranceway.

The first known occupant of the All Saints Anglican Rectory was Irishman Rev. Jerome Alley. In 1826 the land for this home was purchased by Rev. Alley’s son-in-law, lawyer Albert Locke Street, (the same year that Mr. Street and Miss Alley were married). Rev. Alley was known to reside here while the property was in the ownership of Mr. Street. He was only the second Anglican rector in St. Andrews and he preached here and in neighbouring communities for nearly 40 years. The first Madras School in the County of Charlotte was established under the supervision of Rev. Alley in 1820. In 1850 he was appointed Provincial Grand Superintendent of English Royal Arch Masonry in the province. In 1856 he formed a Provincial Grand Chapter at St. Andrews and at that time there was but one English Chapter in the province, St. Mark’s Chapter at St. Andrews. Rev. Alley died in 1861 whereupon the Provincial Grand Chapter’s existence came to an end.

Frank Howard Grimmer obtained this home in 1887 and remained here until his death in 1923. Mr. Grimmer held the office of Secretary Treasurer of Charlotte County for 43 years and the sound financial standing of the county at the time of his death was attributed to his wise judgment and guidance. He graduated from the University of New Brunswick and practised his profession as barrister in St. Andrews. In the 1940's Mr. Grimmer’s widow, Kate Grimmer, left the home to her daughter Bessie with the stipulation that if she owned the home at the time of her death that the home was to go to All Saints Church for a rectory. When Bessie passed away in the 1960's, the home became the church rectory and is still owned by All Saints Anglican Church today. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Howard Grimmer were great philanthropists and Kate Grimmer left $10,000.00 to Chipman Memorial Hospital in St. Stephen, $10,000.00 to the New Brunswick Protestant Orphanage of St. John, $10,000.00 to the rectory, church wardens, and vestry of All Saints Church and a $10,000.00 scholarship fund to the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton to be known as the “F. Howard Grimmer Scholarship”.

Source: Charlotte County Archives – Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick – St. Andrews Historic Places File, “All Saints Anglican Rectory”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the All Saints Anglican Rectory include:
- two-storey rectangular massing;
- common bond brick walls;
- symmetrical design;
- window placement and proportions;
- two large ridge chimneys;
- moderately-pitched lateral gable roof with eave returns;
- drop finial below the returns;
- vertical sliding rectangular windows;
- Roman arch windows on the south façade;
- jack arch voussoir headers;
- plinth band;
- stone foundation;
- carved Christian door;
- fanlight;
- sidelights with wooden base panel;
- fluted pilasters flanking the wood-panelled entry door and sidelights.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - Frederick Street, St. Andrews, New Brunswick.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places