Home / Accueil

Augherton Residence

99 Prince of Wales Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/12/03

This photograph shows the front façade of the building, 2007; Town of St. Andrews
Augherton Residence - Front Façade
This photograph shows the simple roof-line, 2007; Town of St. Andrews
Augherton Residence - Roof-Line
This photograph shows the rock foundation, 2007; Town of St. Andrews
Augherton Residence - Foundation

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/08/21

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Augherton Residence is a wooden one-and-a-half storey, side-gabled vernacular Cape Cod residence located on Prince of Wales Street across from Fort Tipperary in the Town of St. Andrews. The residence was built circa 1821.

Heritage Value

The Augherton Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with Colonel James Boyd, Fort Tipperary and the Augherton family.

The Augherton Residence is recognized for its architecture. This simple vernacular, side gabled, residence is typical of the more modest Cape Cod-inspired homes built within the first 50 years after English settlement of St. Andrews in 1783. Its character is preserved by the continued use of shingle cladding, corner boards, and a central entry. Its profile, typical of these earlier homes, is created in part by eaves that are flush with the roof-line.

The Augherton Residence was built circa 1822 across the road from Fort Tipperary. The fort was built about 1815, just three years after the War of 1812. In 1821, James Boyd obtained this lot of land from the estate of the original grant owner. Local lore suggests that this home was used as an officer’s mess. Col. Boyd owned the home from 1822 to 1845 and he was involved in the local military, so it is reasonable to believe that Boyd had other officers come to his home for lodging and meals. Col. Boyd was a native of Halifax and came to St. Andrews about 1812 and became engaged in mercantile business. During the War of 1812, he was in the active militia, for which he was latterly in receipt of a government allowance. He was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the First Battalion in which he took great pride. He was a Justice of the Peace and represented Charlotte County in the general assembly of the province.

The Augherton Residence is recognized for its association with the Augherton family who occupied the home for nearly 60 years from 1845 to 1903. George Augherton was a labourer and his son James, who later occupied the home, was a New Brunswick railway man and later a conductor on the Ferrocarril De Costa Rica that ran from the seaport of Port Limon to Guapiles.

Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - St. Andrews Historic Places File "Augherton Residence"

Character-Defining Elements

The character defining elements of this vernacular Cape Cod residential building includes:
- simple vernacular side-gabled design;
- one-and-a-half storey massing;
- vertical sliding windows;
- shingle cladding;
- rock foundation;
- corner boards;
- eaves flush with roof-line.
- central entranceway.

- location facing across the road from Fort Tipperary.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design
Governing Canada
Military and Defence

Function - Category and Type



Military Support
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, New Brunswick

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places