Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Maplehurst is a two-storey Neo-Classical and Queen Anne Revival residence with a half wood/half brick façade built upon a crest on a large groomed lot on Carleton Street in St. Andrews.
Maplehurst is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants.
The home was built in 1823 as a single-storey Neo-Classical home. The alterations that enhance the appearance of this home took place in the early 1900's when the second storey was finished and the circular porch with pillars and upper storey balcony were added. The contractor for the porch was a local man by the name of Mr. Stoddard. Large verandas characterize many of St. Andrews’ fine summer cottages. The home still maintains its beautiful Neo-Classical entranceway, reflecting many of the 1820-1830 Neo-Classical structures in St. Andrews. The various shapes and textures of the exterior wall surfaces are indicative of the Queen Anne Revival influences.
The home was built circa 1823 for Jamaican merchant, Hon. Robert William Harris. Mr. Harris passed away intestate circa 1830 and administration was granted to John Wilson, a creditor, in the amount of 750 pounds. Mr. Wilson was a resident of nearby Chamcook and he left this small brick home to his brother Edward. The Wilson brothers were a leading shipbuilding family in Saint Andrews and owned many vessels. Edward Wilson commenced mercantile business with his brother Joseph Wilson and the well known firm of E & J Wilson did a large shipping business for many years and were builders and owners of some of the largest and finest ships in the county. Lucy Sprague, an orphan girl that was brought up by John Wilson, moved into this home to care for Edward Wilson. Mr. Wilson passed away in 1867 but Lucy resided here for the remainder of the 19th century.
Charles Stewart Everett of Fredericton remodelled the home in 1902 and resided here until his death in 1929.
Source: Charlotte County Archives – Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick – St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Maplehurst”
The character-defining elements that describe Maplehurst include:
- window placement and proportions;
- two-storey rectangular massing;
- fancy diamond and scalloped shingle band spanning the midway point of the second storey window openings;
- wood frieze band dividing the lower brick storey and the upper wooden storey;
- saw tooth pattern on the bottom level of shingles;
- recessed designs on lower-storey window headers;
- moulded bull’s-eye window with a keystone wedge at each side, top, and bottom.
The character-defining elements of the dormer include:
- stepped gable dormer with Palladian window;
- flanking windows and Roman arch transom in diamond pattern;
- flanking windows divided from central window by miniature columns;
- fluted pilasters at the corners.
The character-defining elements of the central upper storey window include:
- tri-part window with flanking windows in diamond pattern;
- wide entablature over central window;
- fan design over flanking windows.
The character-defining elements of the oval central porch include:
- oval porch supported by Tuscan columns;
- wood-panelled soffit;
- curved bench;
- balustrade with railing.
The character-defining elements of the entryway include:
- large elliptical fanlight with ornate design;
- sidelights with ornate design and wood base panel;
- wood panelled door.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1902/01/01 to 1902/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Cross-Reference to Collection