St. Andrews Hardware
Quincaillerie Keay's Hardware
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Andrews Hardware is a large two-and-a-half storey, wooden commercial building located on the corner of King and Water Streets in downtown St. Andrews.
St. Andrews Hardware is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its role in providing essential services to the Town of St. Andrews for over two centuries.
The actual construction date of St. Andrews Hardware is not certain yet research and local lore suggests that it may have been constructed in the late 1700’s. In 1786, brothers Patrick, John, and Daniel McMaster obtained this corner lot for the large sum of 2,649 pounds. The McMaster’s immigrated to America from Scotland in the 1760’s and became influential merchants in Boston where they were importers of British goods. In 1776, owing to their loyalty to the King, they were forced to evacuate to Halifax with the British troops. Daniel McMaster became a prominent merchant in St. Andrews and the other brothers relinquished their rights to the property and found their successes elsewhere. In 1827 Daniel’s property was obtained by his son-in-law, Richard Hasluck, and Daniel passed away at St. Andrews in 1830. Merchant Richard Hasluck owned the property until 1841, yet he resided in Birmingham, England. Blacksmith Michael Fauls conducted business at this store until 1863. It was Jeremiah Hanson’s shoe manufactory from 1876 to 1894.
Since the store was once partioned through the middle, it is believed that Jeremiah’s son, Percy, operated his tailor shop here through the late 1800’s. Percy Hanson obtained ownership of the building in 1900. As early as 1892, he was head of the tailoring firm of Hanson & Grady. This company maintained this store yet their place of residence and principal place of business was in Houlton, Maine. Hanson & Grady made an innovation in the tailoring business in Maine by introducing tailor made dresses, coats and wraps for women. Mr. Hanson passed away in 1916 yet his widow owned the store until 1930. This was Richard Keay’s Hardware Store from 1930 until 1965 and still operates as a hardware store today.
St. Andrews Hardware is an example of Maritime Vernacular architecture. It is a large two-and-a-half storey structure with the principle detail and character focusing on the storefront. The large full storey windows and semi-octagonal recessed entranceway was a merchant innovation for window shopping by passer-by’s. This store is located on the main intersection of the town at the corner of Water and King Streets therefore it has many passers-by. The slender tubular columns and paneled wooden bulkheads also add character to this attractive storefront.
Source: Charlotte County Archives – Old Gaol – St. Andrews, New Brunswick – St. Andrews Historic Places File, “St. Andrews Hardware”
The character-defining elements of St. Andrews Hardware include:
- location at a commercial intersection;
- window placement and proportions;
- front-facing gable;
- wood cladding.
- large 2/1 wood-framed storefront windows;
- large storefront window with a multi-paned transom;
- semi-octagonal recessed entranceway;
- wooden door with large glass panel;
- transom light above entrance;
- slender columns divide windows and entranceway;
- paneled wooden bulkheads.
Local Governments (NB)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act, s.5(1)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - St. Andrews Historic Places File, "St. Andrews Hardware"
Cross-Reference to Collection