75, Queen Street East, Town of St. Marys, Ontario, N4X, Canada
75 Queen Street East
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Box House, located at 75 Queen Street East, is on the north side of Queen Street, east of the Mill Race, in the Town of St. Marys. The two-and-a-half-storey limestone residence was constructed in 1858. The property was designated by the Town of St. Marys in 1983 for its historical or architectural value or interest under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 49-1983).
The Box House is located on Queen Street in historic downtown St. Marys. It makes an important contribution to the built fabric of the downtown, enjoying a visual and historical relationship to the structures immediately south of the Box House. West of the Box House lies the Thames River and the Mill Race which provide a reminder of St. Marys' relationship with the river throughout its growth and development.
The Box House is associated with two prominent St. Marys families, the Ingersolls, and the Huttons. On the riverbank in this area in 1841 Thomas Ingersoll built the first saw and grist mill. His log cabin, the first in the township, was built on the property.
In 1850, Ingersoll sold the property to the enterprising William V. Hutton for a miller's house. The Hutton family emigrated to St. Marys from Hampshire in 1849 and were the successful owners of what was considered the most prosperous mill on the Thames. The mill was directly across Queen Street from the miller's house. The ambitious Huttons were also responsible for the construction of the entire Queen and Water Street block; along with Thomas B. Guest, Milner Harrison and George McIntyre, they constructed almost all the limestone commercial buildings still on Queen Street today.
In 1858, the miller's house was replaced with the current limestone structure which served as a residence for William Hutton up until the sale of the property in 1864 to Richard Box. The house is a fine example of the Ontario Gothic style of architecture, constructed using local limestone. Characteristic of this style, the house features a central gable, bargeboard trim and lancet arched windows. Beneath the centre gable is the most decorative window which consists of three narrow gothic panes, grouped together with a rounded pane of coloured glass atop.
Source: Town of St. Marys, By-Law 49-1983.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Box House include its:
-proximity to the Thames River and the several other structures built by the Hutton family
-situation in the historic downtown of St. Marys
-location on the site of Blanshard Township's first log cabin
-local limestone construction
-central gable including bargeboard trim and lancet arched windows
-three paned gothic window on west facade
-double sash windows on west and south elevations
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
- Multiple Dwelling
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Charles G. Tucker
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of St. Marys
P.O. Box 998
175 Queen St. East
St. Marys, Ontario
Cross-Reference to Collection