Home / Accueil

M&M Block

6, Water, Town of St. Marys, Ontario, N4X, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/10/13

Of note is the 11 bay smooth facade and the five bay north elevation.; Martina Braunstein, 2007.
Northeast Corner, M&M Block, 2007
Of note are the segmented flat window arches and stone lintels of the upper storey windows.; Martina Braunstein, 2007.
Detailed View, M&M Block, 2007
Of note is the pattern of alternating doors and windows on the ground level storefront.; Gord Strathdee, 2007.
Facade, M&M Block, 2007

Other Name(s)

M&M Block
Hutton Block
6 Water Street South

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/12/15

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The M&M Block, located at 6 Water Street South, is on the southwest corner of Water and Queen Streets in downtown St. Marys. The three storey limestone building was constructed in 1863.

The property was designated by the Town of St. Marys in 1987 for its architectural value or interest under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 38-1987).

Heritage Value

The M&M Block is associated with early St. Marys resident William Hutton. The Hutton family emigrated to St. Marys from Hampshire in 1849 and were the successful owners of the town's water mill. William Hutton was also an early mayor of St. Marys and was responsible for the construction of many substantial limestone blocks in St. Marys, including the Box House and the First Hutton Block.

Located in historic downtown St. Marys, the M&M Block is a fine example of local limestone vernacular. It is constructed with local limestone and stands in contrast to the great Opera House which is located directly to the south. The block features a smooth, simple 11 bay facade with three chimneys. Reminiscent of Italianate architecture are the finely finished voussoirs on the ground level and the segmented flat arches and projecting keystones above the windows on the second and third storeys, which provide a sense of unity between the ground level storefront and the upper Makami River Bridge Rehabilitations, Elevation to a Group "B" Undertaking Highway 144, Sudbury, Unorganized, North Part upper storeys. Also of note are semi-elliptical transoms above the store windows which alternate between stone lintels above the doorways.

The simplicity of the M&M Block provides a visual contrast to the opulence of the Opera House, while the limestone construction provides visual continuity with the built fabric of the downtown. To the west of the M&M Block lies the Thames River, emphasizing the historical importance of the river to Hutton's entrepreneurship and wealth, and the growth and development of St. Marys.

Source: Town of St. Marys By-Law 38-1987.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the M&M Block include its:
- smooth limestone three storey construction
- 11 bay smooth facade, composed of windows on the upper storeys and alternating windows and doors on the ground level storefront
- five bay north elevation
- three chimneys
- double sash windows
- voussoirs
- cornice
- segmented, flat window arches including projecting keystones
- semi-elliptical transoms
- stone lintels
- situation in the historic downtown of St. Marys
- location north of the Opera House
- proximity to the Thames River




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of St. Marys P.O. Box 998 175 Queen St. East St. Marys, Ontario N4X 1B6

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places