1614, Wintergrove Gardens, City of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
1614 Wintergrove Gardens
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Brown/McCaughtery House is located at 1614 Wintergrove Gardens on the south side of Wintergrove Gardens, west of Queen Street South, in the City of Mississauga. The two storey brick structure was constructed circa 1865.
The property was designated by the City of Mississauga in 1983 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 898-83).
The Brown/McCaughtery House is a particularly fine example of a farmhouse design popular in Ontario in the late 1860s. The farmhouse design became popular after the magazine, The Canada Farmer, recommended it in 1865. This style is characterized by its hip roof, two storey three bay facade with a central projecting frontispiece and polychromatic brick trim in the quoins. Though typical in form, the Brown/McCaughtery Estate is distinct in its details, with its lacy bargeboard and its Tuscan Gothic window motif in the frontispiece. The attached drive shed, with its polychromatic brick patterning and its arched openings, provides additional interest.
Source: City of Mississauga, By-law 898-83.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Brown/McCaughtery House include its:
- two storey brick exterior
- hip roof
- three bay facade
- central projecting frontispiece
- central gable
- lacy bargeboard
- paired, round headed, four over four windows in central bay
- square headed, six over six, double hung windows
- yellow brick quoins
- yellow brick radiating voussoirs
- yellow brick lintels
- cornice with panelled frieze
- lighted transom
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning and Heritage
9th Floor, Community Services
201 City Centre Dr.
Cross-Reference to Collection