Description of Historic Place
The George M. Duck House is a two storey, symmetrical, Georgian Revival style dwelling that is faced with buff stretcher brick. Built in 1929, it is located on the corner of Devonshire Road and Tuscarora Street, in the heart of the former Town of Walkerville.
It is recognized for its heritage value by the City of Windsor, By-law 254-2005.
The George M. Duck House is an exceptionally well-preserved Georgian Revival style house. It is an example of the grand homes being constructed in Walkerville in the early twentieth century. The house is associated with prominent Walkerville citizen George M. Duck, and contractor George Lawton.
Well-known local contractor George Lawton, of Lawton Bilt Homes, designed and built this stately home in 1929. Lawton lived in the home with his wife and family when he was in the process of developing most of the block. In 1931 Lawton sold the home to George M. Duck, a community activist and successful businessman. In 1900, at the age of 17, Duck entered the employ of the Canadian Salt Company as a Shipping Clerk, and by 1928 he was appointed General Manager. Duck was also very active in the community. He was involved with the Community Fund (the United Way), Rotary, church committees, boy scouts, war services committees, and especially the Red Cross. In addition, Duck was the director of Purity Dairies Ltd., Curtis Publishing, and was the executive of the Border Cities Chamber of Commerce.
The George M. Duck house is a two storey, Georgian Revival style home. Typical of this style, it features buff stretcher brick, a hip roof with dormers, and is symmetrical. In 1946 it was converted from a single family home into a semi-detached residence. Many of the original features have been preserved, which adds to the heritage value of the home.
Detroit distiller Hiram Walker founded the former Town of Walkerville in 1858. After his death in 1899, Walker's sons directed the second phase of development in Walkerville - developing their land between Wyandotte and Richmond Streets. The Walkers promoted the area as a fine residential neighbourhood focused on St. Mary's Church (built in 1904), and Willistead Manor (built in 1906). Lots were sold only to those who could build homes of at least 3500 square feet, which guaranteed an upscale neighbourhood. The George M. Duck House is found in the heart of this area and is illustrative of the majestic homes built for some of Walkerville's most prominent citizens.
Sources: Building Analysis Form, March 2005; Designation Report, December 10, 2004; the City of Windsor By-law 254-2005, October 17, 2005.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the George M. Duck House include its:
- two storey massing
- symmetrical features
- buff stretcher brick
- hip roof with hooded dormers
- prominent chimney featuring ornate brickwork
- belt course of limestone that runs below the second floor windows
- limestone columns with original lamps that flank the front door
- original double-hung windows with limestone sills and brick surrounds
- original wood front door
- original slate and brick porch
- original brick two-car garage with hip roof in