Description of Historic Place
The Meadowvale Village Hall is located at 6970 Second Line West, on the west side of Second Line, south of Old Derry Road, in the Meadowvale Village Heritage Conservation District, City of Mississauga. The one storey board and batten schoolhouse was constructed in 1871.
The property was designated, by the City of Mississauga in 1980, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 453-80.
Located at 6970 Second Line West, the Meadowvale Village Hall is situated on the edge of Historic Meadowvale Village, a block away from the location of the first schoolhouse, at the corner of Barberry Lane and Second Line West.
The Meadowvale Village Hall, originally a schoolhouse, is associated with the importance Meadowvale Village placed on providing children with an education. Built in 1871, on land purchased from John Simpson, this was the second Meadowvale School. In 1968, the schoolhouse became a community hall. From 1999 to 2003, the hall was used by the Exodus Apostolic Church for Sunday services. Today it is used by Girl Guides, Boy Scouts and other organisations for social events.
The Meadowvale Village Hall is a visually prominent component of the Meadowvale Heritage Conservation District. Although it has no distinguishable style, it is composed of the same board and batten construction that was common in the 1860s and 1870s. The one storey, rectangular frame structure is covered by a medium pitched gable roof and supported on a stone foundation. The front section of the hall is sheathed in board and batten and the rear in clapboard. The entire structure maintains an air of simplicity, the only significant detailing being an arcade of ellipses which constitutes the frieze on the front section. The front entrance, located under the gable end, is a simple door flanked by two, four over four, double hung sash windows. The southern elevation of the main section includes seven, six over six, double hung sash bay windows and four bays with similar pane configuration in the northern elevation. An external chimney was covered by the rear addition. The exterior of the building has changed very little, but the interior was updated in circa 1995 with modern plumbing; at the same time the exterior was painted in the historic colours.
Sources: City of Mississauga By-law 453-80; Mississauga Heritage Status Report; Historic Meadowvale Village.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Meadowvale Village Hall include its:
- plaque bearing the construction date
- one storey board and batten, clapboard and stone construction
- medium pitched gable roof
- symmetrical facade
- arcade of ellipses
- front entrance
- seven, six over six, windows on the southern elevation
- four, six over six, windows on the northern elevation
- chimney covered by the addition
- simple mouldings
- situation near the corner of Old Derry Road and Second Line West at the edge of the Historic Meadowvale Village