Description of Historic Place
The Timothy Street House is located at 41 Mill Street, on the south side of Mill Street, at its termination in Streetsville, in the City of Mississauga. The one-and-a-half storey brick residence was constructed in 1825.
The City of Mississauga designated the property in 1977, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 521-77.
Located at 41 Mill Street in the historic village of Streetsville, the Timothy Street House is situated within the community's earliest industrial location.
The Timothy Street House is associated with Timothy Street, the founder of Streetsville, and is said to be the first brick house in Peel County. Timothy Street emigrated from New York in 1801 and showed an interest in acquiring and speculating in land. He supervised the surveying of lands that Toronto Township purchased from the Mississauga First Nations and was subsequently awarded a substantial parcel of land; he later acquired other land including that on which the Timothy Street House now stands. However, his long term interest lay in founding a town and building grist and saw mills as business ventures. These mills were near his home, which overlooks the Credit River. Timothy lived in the house with his family until his death, in 1848, at which time it passed to his widow, Abigail Street, who in turn left it to her daughter Emma Street Staley. The City of Mississauga purchased the house, as well as the surrounding land, in 1975, and restored the house exterior, in 1982. Believed to be the last remaining house in Streetsville from that period, the Timothy Street House is located at the community's earliest industrial location.
The Timothy Street House is a good representation of the vernacular style, with Regency influences, such as the symmetrical facade and centred front entrance with sidelights and transom, overlooked by a dormer. However it deviates from the Regency style with a medium pitched gable roof and small fenestration such as the one over one, double hung windows, which flank the front entrance. Built in 1825, the house has evolved over its lifespan, but is believed to have been outstanding, in comparison to the other brick houses of its era, built in Toronto Township. The facade and three exterior elevations are finished in different materials, which attest to both its age and change in ownership. The facade is brick, laid in common bond; the south elevation has been re-sheathed in new brick and the old brick of the northern elevation has been covered with stucco. A rear addition, for which the roof line was extended, is covered in vertical barn board. The foundation of the house is of rubble, partially parged with cement. The front porch is believed to be a late addition to the house.
Sources: City of Mississauga By-law 521-77; City of Mississauga Heritage Status Report; History of Timothy Street House, Mississauga, Ontario.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Timothy Street House include its:
- one-and-a-half storey brick, wood and stucco exterior
- rubble and cement foundation
- gable roof
- vertical barn board rear addition with shiplap on the northern face
- eaves with boxed cornice and frieze and returns on the front gable
- central location and material of the front door with sidelights and six paned
- one over one windows flanking the entrance
- two over two windows on the north elevation
- modern one over one windows on the addition
- wooden front porch
- two internally bracketed chimneys on the north and south elevations
- situation in the historic village of Streetsville on the Credit River
- visible location at the end of Mill Street
- siting in the earliest industrial location in the city