Cherry Hill House
Cherry Hill Restaurant
The Duke of Marlborough Pub
680 Silver Creek Boulevard
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Cherry Hill House is located at 680 Silver Creek Boulevard, on the south side of Silver Creek Boulevard, between Lolita Gardens and Cawthra Road, in the City of Mississauga. The two-and-a-half storey clapboard residence was constructed in circa 1822, and the random course cut stone wing was constructed in circa 1811.
The property was designated, by the City of Mississauga in 1978, for its cultural heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 561-78.
Located on Silver Creek Boulevard, surrounded by commercial and residential land uses, Cherry Hill House is not on its original lot. The residence was constructed on the northwest corner of Dundas Street and Cawthra Road, on a rise of land that dominated the surrounding area. In 1975, to make way for a housing development and road widening, Cherry Hill House was moved north, from the old Silverthorn Estate, to its present location. Though the current location is not as commanding, an effort was made to duplicate its original site conditions.
Cherry Hill House is associated with Joseph and Jane Silverthorn, one of Toronto Township's earliest and most prominent families. A United Empire Loyalist, Joseph received a Crown grant of 200 acres on Lot 11 in Concession 1 on November 6, 1807. In addition Joseph purchased an adjacent 500 acres. The Silverthorns were among the first settlers in the township and, as a result the house may be the oldest surviving structure, in what is now the City of Mississauga. The stone wing of Cherry Hill House is said to date to 1811, and the main structure to 1822. Cherry Hill House remained in the Silverthorn family until 1951. The name, “Cherry Hill,” is derived from the cherry trees that once lined the Silverthorn's driveway.
Cherry Hill House is a good example of vernacular Neo-Classical architecture. The style is well represented in its elegance of proportion, pronounced cornice and balanced placement of elements. The encircling tent-roofed veranda with stick treillage provides additional interest. Although it has no particular stylistic characteristics, the kitchen wing to the rear, built with Credit Valley stone, provides a contrast to the main structure. The structure's fieldstone foundation was likely reconstructed to match the original, as were the internally bracketed chimneys.
Sources: Heritage Structure Report, City of Mississauga, November 1977; City of Mississauga By-law 561-78.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Cherry Hill House include its:
- two-and-a-half storey clapboard construction
- one-and-a-half storey random course cut stone wing on the east elevation
- medium-pitched gable roof
- cedar shingle roof
- fieldstone foundation
- internally bracketed chimneys
- boxed cornice with returns on the gable ends and plain frieze
- windows with plain surrounds and shutters
- two small four-paned casement windows in the gable
- blind transom over the entrance
- wrap around veranda with tent roof and stick treillage
- gable dormer and shed-roof dormer on the wing
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1822/01/01 to 1822/01/01
1975/01/01 to 1975/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Eating or Drinking Establishment
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning and Heritage
201 City Centre Drive
9th Floor, Community Services
Cross-Reference to Collection