Home / Accueil

Baker House

88, Daly, City of Stratford, Ontario, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/11/09

Of note is the second storey balcony with decorative wood details; Martha Fallis, 2008.
Facade, 88 Daly Avenue, 2008
Of note is the upper storey gable with decorative verge board; Martha Fallis, 2008.
Facade, 88 Daly Avenue, 2008
No Image

Other Name(s)

Baker House
88 Daly Avenue

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/02/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Baker House is located at 88 Daly Street, on the north side of Daly Street, east of St. Vincent Street South in the City of Stratford. The two-and-a-half-storey red brick residence was constructed in 1891.

The property was designated by the City of Stratford in 1987 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 210-87).

Heritage Value

The Baker House was built for Henry Baker, a local wagon maker, in 1891. It has been associated with the Baker family for five generations.

During the first half of the twentieth century the house was the residence of Dr. Herbert W. Baker and his family. Dr. Baker was a local dentist; when he opened up his practice in Stratford he brought with him a gold inlay casting machine which is believed to be the first machine of its type in Ontario. In 1923 he was the first to bring a dental X-ray machine to Stratford as well.

Dr. Baker and his family were very active in their community. Dr. Baker's served on City Council and later served as a member of the Board of Park Management for many years. In 1953 he was made honorary life member of that board. He was also a member of the Stratford Rotary Club, the Stratford Board of Trade and an executive member of the Stratford Hockey Club. In addition, Dr. Baker was a district deputy grand master of the Masonic Order, a district deputy of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and a trustee of the Central United Church. He was also on the board of directors of the British Mortgage and Trust Company from 1930 until his death in 1964.

Dr. Baker's wife, Mae Victoria Wyatt was also prominent in Stratford, particularly in the women's organizations of Central United Church. She was treasurer of the Women's Missionary Society for 17 years. Mrs. Baker was also an active member in the Women's Association, a member of Women's Hospital Aid, and an officer on the Y.W.C.A Board of Directors.

Built in 1891, the Baker House is an excellent example of Queen Anne style architecture. Typical of this style is the two-and-a-half storey red brick exterior and the segmental double hung windows. The residence is unique because it has a large second-storey balcony with decorative wood detailing around the windows. Also of note is the front entrance with a segmental door with semi-circular transom, as well as the symmetrical gables with decorative verge board and centre dormer on the upper storey.

Source: City of Stratford, By-law 210-87.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of The Baker House include the:
- two-and-a-half-storey red brick exterior
- brick chimney
- multiple rooflines
- segmental door with semi-circular transom
- segmental double hung windows
- two symmetrical gables with decorative verge board
- centre dormer window
- second storey balcony with decorative wood detail




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Community Organizations

Function - Category and Type


Single Dwelling


Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Stratford Office of the City Clerk Administrator City Hall 1 Wellington Street Stratford, ON N5A 2L3

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places